Thoughts on MotorTrend on demand

Drop in and chat about anything
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hey guys i have been seeing MotorTrend's youtube channel promoting their new on demand streaming service and now i would just like to now if any of you guys have tried it out yet, MotorTrend claim it is like a car Netflix, so it could be interesting.

They want 5 US per month, i'm tempted to try it out, but wanted to helpfully get some thoughts on it first.

- - -

What is Motor Trend OnDemand? MOTOR TREND ONDEMAND is your ticket to premier automotive video content from around the globe, featuring the fastest, most powerful, and most interesting vehicles to ever touch a track, trail or road. Your paid subscription unlocks:
  • Exclusive, international motorsport available live and on demand
  • Over one thousand hours of video programming, updated regularly
  • An insider’s view of premier events, racing series, car collections, auctions, and automotive celebrities
  • Original episodes, behind the scenes, and bonus footage from popular TEN automotive brands such as Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Roadkill, Four Wheeler, Super Street, and more
  • Automotive-themed feature films and documentaries
  • Historical archives of racing, hot rodding, motorcycles, and more
'

- - -

Note:
The content might be regional locked so you would have to use a VPN changer, i use the Chrome extension Hola to stream from USA, watching some of their free content, but they have a ton of racing covered, but can't see any Formula 1 content besides the classic races etc.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The problem i have with all these new subscription TV on demand channels, is that you need a ton of subscriptions if you want to watch everything you like.
In addition to that, good content will disappear from regular channels, leaving the premium content to the paid channels.

I also think not all new subscription channels will survive. The early ones, like Netflix will probably, just like the channels that are linked to large corporations as Google, Amazon and Apple. But even that is no guarantee for success.

Sports has always been a way in for commercial broadcast channels like FOX. So maybe this new Motorsport channel survives.

Fact remains that there are a lot of Motorsports related channels on air. And not every presenter has the talent of Jeremy Clarkson or the drivers talent of Tiff Needell and Chris Harris.
And with so many channels to choose from, you will want to go for the best only.

I foresee a very hard battle for the viewers in the rest of this decade. And i don't know if the viewers will benefit from it in the long run. Competition will most likely lead to an early drop in price for subscriptions to lure you in, but once the cards are dealt, the prizes will go up just as fast. It will monopolize the TV world even more in the long run with hostile takeovers or shameless an ruthless business practices to get best actors, presenters, scriptwriters and TV rights.
When the smoke clears, a Fallout type TV landscape will emerge, with scavenger hunters barely scraping by.
This will lead to less diversity in TV programming, serving only what everybody wants to watch most. Dumbing down the TV audience some more.

If basic cable will survive, it will depend on the rights to do re-runs of previously aired premium content. Leaving them as slaves of the Subscription overlords.

If you want to read more, subscribe :mrgreen:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Good write up Mad :D

Yes i think i'll pass on this, as it is USA area locked, but the content is nice though.

We really should demand Worldwide steaming services, as the area locked streamers out there is no good for anyone outside of the zone, the first who manages to collect all of the motor sport into one worldwide streaming service would be on to something huge, and the exclusive right should be made invalid so nobody can claim the right to broadcast it, they need a fair-play deal among all of the streaming services.

One way to do this is to divide up the sport content as a Motorsport and football have nothing in common, so you play less and not be able to see the football content but still have be able to watch all the motorsport... Anyway i'm just sick and tried of being forced to pay for stuff i don't care about.

Return to “The Lay-by”