Should .gif avatars and signatures be banned?

Drop in and chat about anything

Should .gif avatars and signatures be banned?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 26
Mauricio_Zika
Rookie
Rookie

now, i don't know about anyone else, but when someone has a .gif picture as their avatar or in their signature it slows down the time it takes for the page to load up depending on where i am. Not only that but they get me on my nerves as they get old fast and are distractiful, there's a reason a lot of forums over the internet ban these, even Youtube and Twitter don't allow them aswell.

Thoughts, opinions?
-Sorry, I'm too lazy to create a signature-
Pinduca
Rookie
Rookie

Deal with it. :handgestures-thumbdown:
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

Never really experienced any performance issues regarding pictures with the gif extension, be it on desktop or on mobile.

I have nothing against gif avatars but I think animated signatures are annoying as they drive away my attention from what I'm reading to them. Forums that don't allow animated sigs do look cleaner to read but there are only 2 or 3 people here with those IIRC.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Mauricio_Zika wrote:Should .gif avatars and signatures be banned?
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

For the record, this is not an official Poll.

And as there are only a few people who actually use animated GIF's as avatar or in their sig, we leave them be.

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Mauricio_Zika
Rookie
Rookie

TheLuigi907 wrote:Never really experienced any performance issues regarding pictures with the gif extension, be it on desktop or on mobile.
well ok then mister super speedy high-techy japanese connection. :roll:
TheLuigi907 wrote:Forums that don't allow animated sigs do look cleaner to read but there are only 2 or 3 people here with those IIRC.
the point is not to delete these 2-3 people's signatures, it's to prevent any future use of these annoying things by any new or old time member.
MadManCK wrote:And as there are only a few people who actually use animated GIF's as avatar or in their sig, we leave them be.
that's for Bez and the people to decide, not you alone.
-Sorry, I'm too lazy to create a signature-
Warachia
Mechanic
Mechanic

Mauricio_Zika wrote:
MadManCK wrote:And as there are only a few people who actually use animated GIF's as avatar or in their sig, we leave them be.
that's for Bez and the people to decide, not you alone.
I have to agree with you in this.

Sure thing, there are only a few people with animated GIF's in their sig but I see them quite often around and I'd like to see those animated sigs gone for the same reason mentioned by TheLuigi.
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

Democracy...
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

TheLuigi907 wrote:Democracy...
Highly overrated ;)

We already made the decision to allow animated GIF in sigs and avatars.

I do agree the animated avatars can be a bit distracting.
But right now the choice to use them is with the members.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:
We already made the decision to allow animated GIF in sigs and avatars.

I do agree the animated avatars can be a bit distracting.
But right now the choice to use them is with the members.
Ditto.

I have already stated in a PM to Mauricio_Zika before the poll started that we have no plans to ban GIF's in sigs and avatars at this point in time and this still stands.

I do realise they can be distracting at times but our Avatars and Sigs are part of our individuality on forums like these if I start to control what you can and cannot put in them then it wouldn't be right in my opinion. :|

So unless I see a dramatic slowdown in the forums loading performance they are here to stay.

(Just because I don't want to control what you put in your Avatars and Sigs doesn't mean anything goes, you will still be bound by forum policy. :eusa-naughty: )
Image Image

Return to “The Lay-by”