Formula1 Talk

Drop in and chat about anything
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Great sound from the BMW. Nice engine swap.

Needless to say that the track is totally not suitable for F1. Maybe for a city demonstration like in London or Rotterdam.
They would have to remove traffic objects, mid sections, create run/off areas and a pit lane complex.

Plans are good. But maybe build a purpose made track for Danish auto sport in general. That would benefit the sport more.

Right now there is a bureau investigating the possibilities to organize an F1 race at Zandvoort again.
Last winner there was Niki Lauda with a McLaren TAG Heuer Porsche Turbo. He lead the race before Alain Prost for 20 plus laps, driving Ron Dennis crazy, as they both had their turbo boost at max. Niki made no mistake and retired as World Champion. Alain Prost became World Champion the next year. But Lauda was the better driver. Good times.
In those days there was always enough money to organize a GP. One of my Family members was in the Board of Directors, together with John Hugenholtz, the legendary designer of Zandvoort, Suzuka, Zolder, Jarama and Hockenheim (stadium section is still there) and probably a few more.

With Silverstone throwing the gauntlet at the F1 Organization, a chain of events has been set in motion that will lead to lower fees or more revenues for organizing tracks. With Scrooge McEcclestone leaving the organisation, they might be on to something. The new owners are very active in making the sport better and more interresting for the spectators.
On the other hand, Silverston pays half of what Baku pays for a race. So maybe the revenue managers at Silverston do a bad job or drink too much champagne with pit ladies.

It would be a shame if Silverstone dissappears from the calender, but i do believe that this is a hard bargaining tactic. If that is the right course of action against Chase Carey, a Texan with a mustache, remains to be seen. There are plenty of Cities who want to organize an F1 race. And playing hard ball is something he can do as well. And i´m convinced he is faster on the draw.
:violence-guntoting:

Silverstone has one of the most interesting corner combinations of any track in the world with Copse, Maggots and Beckets. It challenges the best drivers and today has shown about everybody making mistakes there as the current cars can do up to 5.5G in corners. Just insane. It would be a serious waste if that track won´t be on the F1 season.

So, i take the current Danish F1 initiative with a grain of salt, but that video was awesome. :2thumbsup:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Hamilton fastest before a slight drizzle, as they use to say in the UK, compromised any chance of further improvements. On a wet track with Intermediates, Max was 2 sec faster than anyone else. :shock:
And a few drivers did some rain dancing for the audience.

Will we get a wet Qualifying session later today ?

Third free practice results - 2017 British Formula 1 Grand Prix

Pos. Driver Team Time Laps
1. L. Hamilton Mercedes 01:28.063 18
2. S. Vettel Ferrari 01:28.095 14
3. V. Bottas Mercedes 01:28.137 20
4. K. Raikkonen Ferrari 01:28.732 15
5. N. Hulkenberg Renault 01:29.480 14
6. D. Ricciardo Red Bull 01:29.612 15
7. R. Grosjean Haas 01:29.819 14
8. M. Verstappen Red Bull 01:29.904 13
9. F. Massa Williams 01:29.959 19
10. S. Vandoorne McLaren 01:30.088 19
11. F. Alonso McLaren 01:30.138 17
12. E. Ocon Force India 01:30.172 19
13. K. Magnussen Haas 01:30.270 15
14. J. Palmer Renault 01:30.302 16
15. S. Pérez Force India 01:30.416 16
16. D. Kvyat Toro Rosso 01:30.504 20
17. C. Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso 01:30.515 19
18. P. Wehrlein Sauber 01:30.621 24
19. M. Ericsson Sauber 01:30.630 24
20. L. Stroll Williams 01:31.358 18
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

A little bit of rain can make things a lot more interesting. Alonso made a big surprise by taking 1st in Q1, but it was Vandoorne who made it to Q3 in the McLaren.

Lewis Hamilton was of course fastest in Q3, smoking the rest with half a second and fastest sector times on avery part of the track. He is now just one pole away from being all time best pole sitter. Being sharp when it counts appears to be his motto. He leaves the side dishes to others. Job well done :D

Bottas made a mistake in his final flying lap, so both Ferraris are at 2nd and 3rd. Kimi outqualified Sebastian, that must feel good.
Bottas will also be placed 5 places back, starting from behind Stoffel Vandoorne.

Bad luck this time for RBR´s Ricciardo. It is not a good thing that they can not get two reliable cars on the grid.

Where Hulkenberg made most out of the new Renault updates, Palmer missed Q3 again and must fear for his F1 future now. With Kubica rumors growing stronger for a Renault drive next year.

Williams dissappointed again at their home GP. Both Force India, soon to be Force One, with another solid top 10.

It will be an interesting race tomorrow, especially when it rains just a little bit. ;)

Qualifying results - 2017 British Formula 1 Grand Prix

Pos. Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Laps
1. L. Hamilton Mercedes 01:39.069 01:27.893 01:26.600 25
2. K. Raikkonen Ferrari 01:40.455 01:28.992 01:27.147 25
3. S. Vettel Ferrari 01:39.962 01:28.978 01:27.356 23
4. V. Bottas Mercedes 01:39.698 01:28.732 01:27.376 26
5. M. Verstappen Red Bull 01:38.912 01:29.431 01:28.130 23
6. N. Hulkenberg Renault 01:39.201 01:29.340 01:28.856 21
7. S. Pérez Force India 01:42.009 01:29.824 01:28.902 26
8. E. Ocon Force India 01:39.738 01:29.701 01:29.074 25
9. S. Vandoorne McLaren 01:40.011 01:30.105 01:29.418 24
10. R. Grosjean Haas 01:42.042 01:29.966 01:29.549 26

11. J. Palmer Renault 01:41.404 01:30.193 18
12. D. Kvyat Toro Rosso 01:41.726 01:30.355 20
13. F. Alonso McLaren 01:37.598 01:30.600 17
14. C. Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso 01:41.114 01:31.368 15
15. F. Massa Williams 01:41.874 01:31.482 21

16. L. Stroll Williams 01:42.573 11
17. K. Magnussen Haas 01:42.577 11
18. P. Wehrlein Sauber 01:42.593 10
19. M. Ericsson Sauber 01:42.633 10
20. D. Ricciardo Red Bull 01:42.966 4

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Lol i hope Martin Brundle gets well soon, as the gridwalk isn't the same without him. :(
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The rain stayed away, but this was still an interesting race. Ferrari was too hard on the tires, when both cars suffered from left front degrading, leading to a puncture for Vettel and a late stop for Raikkonen. Kimi still made it to the podium.

But the winner was Lewis Hamilton. Untouched this weekend. Another epic drive, placing him right in the title brawl with Vettel again. Bottas second, after a lot of hard work, catching up from 9th to 2nd is another strong drive from him.

Ricciardo made it from 19th to 5th. Rock solid driving there. Max 4th and finally a 2 car finish this season for RBR.

Lots of interesting battles on the track. Vettel knocking Verstappen off track, but Max stood his ground. Frustrating Vettel did the undercut pit stop, which worked as Verstappen lost time at his first stop.
But oh boy, that Vettel dude needs some serious sports counseling. He is just incapable of not driving dirty.

But the real idiot was Russian Torpedo Kvyatt, who came back on track without even looking, knocking his team mate Sainz out of the race. And he later had to retire as well. So eliminating the whole Toro Rosso Team with one stupid action.

Force India drivers let each other live this time, resulting in top 10 places for both. The name change is in the works, but it seems to be hard to change a team name in F1 for some reason. Force One is a much better name for sure.

Massa managed to bring the Williams home in 10th, securing the last point. Not their strongest weekend.

Rumors about Sainz leaving Toro Rosso for a Renault drive, are getting stronger. Some say he will be in a Renault next race already. Palmer did not even start the race as his Renault stopped in the formation lap. Maybe those were his last meters in an F1 car.

Dr.Helmut Markko said that for 100M they will let Max go. Of course he was joking, but these are pro soccer transfer numbers. Those are ridiculous as well. But they won´t let Max go. Not even for that amount. :lol:

McLaren had to retire Alonso with another Honda engine failure. This is starting to Hurt Honda as a company, as the internet is full of Honda planes missing the landing strip and so on.
Even worse, as they had changed about every part of the engine before the race. Vandoorne drove a good race, but ended just outside the points.

Race results - 2017 British Formula 1 Grand Prix

Pos. Driver Team Time
1. L. Hamilton Mercedes 1:21:27.430
2. V. Bottas Mercedes +14.063
3. K. Raikkonen Ferrari +36.570 +22.507
4. M. Verstappen Red Bull +52.125 +15.555
5. D. Ricciardo Red Bull +1:05.955 +13.830
6. N. Hulkenberg Renault +1:08.109 +2.154
7. S. Vettel Ferrari +1:33.989 +25.880
8. E. Ocon Force India +1 Lap
9. S. Pérez Force India +1 Lap
10. F. Massa Williams +1 Lap
11. S. Vandoorne McLaren +1 Lap
12. K. Magnussen Haas +1 Lap
13. R. Grosjean Haas +1 Lap
14. M. Ericsson Sauber +1 Lap
15. D. Kvyat Toro Rosso +1 Lap
16. L. Stroll Williams +1 Lap
17. P. Wehrlein Sauber +1 Lap

Did not finish
18. F. Alonso McLaren +19 Laps
19. C. Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso +51 Laps
20. J. Palmer Renault +51 Laps

grooks10
Mechanic
Mechanic

That was an okay race this morning. I was kind of hoping to see some rain to keep things interesting. And even though I'm not really a fan of Hamilton, I gotta be happy for him to win his home grand prix!

Also, I'm watching the Formula E race in New York City right now, and I have never watched one of these before, but the racing is super exciting! The tracks are tight, and the drivers are really talented! I miss the engine noise, but this is about as exciting as any given F1 race!
XBOXONE: hooksie54
German Auto Club Executive (Secretary)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

In FE they have to switch cars because the battery is empty half way. That is just stupid.
Electric racing has a future of course, but it needs to mature before i will get interested.
The tracks are usually mediocre and only for exhibition purposes. But a lot of former F1 drivers drive there, so the level of competition is insane. They also race on normal road tires.

But it is funny to see the FE driving in NY, while F1 is talking for 2 decades now to organize a race in NY. Maybe the new owner, Liberty Global, will change that.

If they ever create FE race cars that can compete with current F1 speeds, i will watch it for sure. And play a CD with V12 and V8 sounds from the 60s :lol:

Kvyatt received penalty points on his F1 Super License. He is only 3 points from a race ban now, just like Vettel.
A good decision from the stewards, as he keeps torpedoing other drivers off track. F1 is no bowling alley. Not even in Russia

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3559 ... ter-clash/

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

According to some rumors, McLaren is now talking to Renault for next Years engines. Not Mercedes as was expected. But Renault has a different policy towards customer engines. Where Mercedes and Ferrari customers get the same engine, but different software and engine mappings, Renault gives everybody the same engine as their own factory team. This helps them greatly to develop their engine and is a good thing for everybody.

If McLaren decides to ditch Honda, it would be a slap in the face of the Japanese engine builder. But it has to be expected. A top team as McLaren can not afford to drive at the end of the field for too long. And Honda starts to feel the impact of its F1 project, as Twitter is full of Honda fails now.

That will leave Honda with 2 options. Continue with Sauber, or exit F1. Last would be a waste, but also understandable.
Maybe they could return, when new engine rules are applied in 2020. At the same time, the development time right now can be crucial to deliver a reliable engine at that time. As the base engine will remain the same. Only the KERS will be simplified. So a lot of things to take into consideration for the Japanese Team. Sauber might be the best bet, as they can be more dominant in that team. Maybe even take over the complete operation. And place a Japanese driver behind the wheel.
In the past Bernie Ecclestone was a big player behind the scene as well. Making sure that the global influence would remain. A Japanese manufacturer is important for the sport in general. So there might be an important role for Liberty to keep Honda in F1.

The Renault deal might also save Fernando Alonso for McLaren. So there is much more to it than just another engine. McLaren needs new sponsors. Driving as mid fielders wont bring much.

In addition to that, Renault might be able to build an engine that can compete with Mercedes and Ferrari next year. They have been making steps throughout the season. The competition is not standing still either of course, but they are on the right path to catch up the leaders. Adding another top team to their portfolio would only give them more data and speed up development some more. And it would increase the Renault influence in the paddock.

In the mean time, Sainz will go to Renault and RBR will get a discount on their engines. Some say that Palmer will have to make place this season already. SPA has been mentioned. In Hungary Sainz will still drive for Toro Rosso, but it might be his last race. By openly stating he won't be driving another season for Toro Rosso, he has created an unworkable relation within the team IMO.

Valtteri Bottas will most likely sign a contract for multiple Years at Mercedes. He only had a contract for one season, but has proven himself on more than one occasion. He has clearly stepped up and will be rewarded with a longer stay at Mercedes. I think he has well deserved that contract extension. He drove a few races to victory, without making a single mistake, despite being under pressure.

A lot of interesting developments. :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

That is some interesting developments for sure, but you sure RedBull would allow McLaren to get the same engine as them? It would put them into a super competitive aero fight with McLaren who's aero is one of the best packages as well, but as an old McLaren fan I would love this change.
Last edited by Beardroid91 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

It is up to Renault to decide who to give their engines to. RBR has a TAG Heuer rebadged engine. But all Renaults are the same. This also implies that the Renault works team has some work to do on their own chassis. And RBR and McLaren would be able to fight each other on the track. If Mclaren has a good chassis. Right now you do not really know that, as Honda has dropped the ball big time.
For everybody at McLaren it would be a boost to have a good engine. And a works Renault might be a better option than the customer Mercedes. Ferrari is not an option for them due to their spy-gate history with the Scuderia. ;)

Right now i think nothing has been decided yet and everybody is exploring their options. :party:

Return to “The Lay-by”