Formula1 Talk

Drop in and chat about anything
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Not much to say about this boring race. Poor Ricciardo's Renault engine had hydrolical issues and Renault's tire changes were the worst of this season. Shameful even. Sainz could have had a big accident.
On the other hand, their lame tactics to give Toro Rosso a 100HP less scrap heap engine paid off. :whistle:
Renault ended on the 6th place of the constructors championship.

For me the driver of the day was Pascal Wehrlein. To drive like that with the dog kennel this Sauber is, was just an incredible job.

Bottas did not crack under pressure and finally showed the consistency he was looking for the second half of the season.
Well deserved victory there 8-)

Abu Dhabi looks like a great place to be, but these races are usually boring over there. Maybe Lewis is right that a change in layout can make it more interesting, but i think it is the overall rhythm of the track that makes overtaking very difficult.
This event also showed how critical these new F1 cars are when driving behing another car. That has to change. Starting with rules that prevent air distortion behind the car. Right now 50% of the wind tunnel time is spent to create as much dirty air behind the cars as possible. A bit of foul play, but they all do it, to prevent cars from gaining an advantage with slip streaming. DRS is only an artificial tool to help compensate for that, but is not a real solution either.
Overtaking feels artificial and forced that way. But it was kinda funny to see the track limitations of Abu Dhabi, as drivers who overtook would be countered on the next straight.

We say goodbye to Massa, Kvyatt, Palmer, Wehrlein and Ericsson. :text-bump:

More news about Alfa Romeo returning to the F1 will be announced soon®.
As a Ferrari Bambino Team, it makes a lot of sense to follow Red Bull's tactics. And LeCler and Giovinazzi will most likely be their driver line up. Even if Ericsson still has a small chance due to his sponsors. He might end up as a reserve driver instead.

Next year will be awesome, 3 engine rule will increase the ridiculous grid penalty race and the stupid drying rack will block drivers vision in the name of driver safety. :roll:

But the competition will most likely be a lot better with teams being more competitive. I predict Renault to make the biggest step forward. And a 5 team battle for podium places.
That will be good. :party:

Race results - 2017 Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix

Pos. Driver Team Time
1. V. Bottas Mercedes 1:34:14.063
2. L. Hamilton Mercedes +3.899
3. S. Vettel Ferrari +19.330 +15.431
4. K. Räikkönen Ferrari +45.386 +26.056
5. M. Verstappen Red Bull +46.269 +0.883
6. N. Hulkenberg Renault +1:25.713 +39.444
7. S. Pérez Force India +1:32.062 +6.349
8. E. Ocon Force India +1:38.911 +6.849
9. F. Alonso McLaren +1 Lap
10. F. Massa Williams +1 Lap
11. R. Grosjean Haas +1 Lap
12. S. Vandoorne McLaren +1 Lap
13. K. Magnussen Haas +1 Lap
14. P. Wehrlein Sauber +1 Lap
15. B. Hartley Toro Rosso +1 Lap
16. P. Gasly Toro Rosso +1 Lap
17. M. Ericsson Sauber +1 Lap
18. L. Stroll Williams +1 Lap

Did not finish
19. C. Sainz Jr. Renault +24 Laps
20. D. Ricciardo Red Bull +35 Laps
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

All eyes on Kubica at the Yas Marina tire tests.

With almost 2 seconds slower than Stroll it does not look good after 100 laps. The amount of laps show that he has no physical issues with the new F1 cars, despite limited functionality in his right arm.

But of course everybody will say it is a good result.
Just remember Massa was faster than Stroll and already was a pensionado in F1 terms.

Edit; Kubica did not use the new Hypersoft Pirelli tires. Maybe they wanted Stroll to look good, or fast... :roll:

Kubica might be a Polish Farytale come true. But from a sporting side of things i would have picked Wehrlein.
DiResta will most likely remain as test and reserve driver, unless one of the two Russians; Sirotkin and Kvyatt, will bring a truckload of Rubel from Moscow to Williams.

It appears that Williams is more interested in the business side of things and lets the sporting side slip a little. And that is not a good sign. Kubica also has to bring sponsorship with him to the team.
The time Williams fought for the Championships has long gone.

And winning positions in the constructor championship, is also good for business. :twocents-02cents:

Formula 1 test at Yas Marina 28 November 2017

Pos. Driver Team Time Laps
1. K. Räikkönen Ferrari 01:37.768 99
2. D. Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 01:38.066 109
3. L. Hamilton Mercedes AMG 01:38.551 136
4. R. Grosjean Haas F1 01:39.270 137
5. L. Stroll Williams 01:39.580 29
6. F. Alonso McLaren 01:39.762 115
7. N. Hulkenberg Renault 01:39.803 85
8. N. Mazepin Force India F1 01:39.959 90
9. R. Kubica Williams 01:41.296 100
10. S. Gelael Scuderia Toro Rosso 01:41.428 117
11. M. Ericsson Sauber 01:41.681 97
12. O. Turvey McLaren 01:41.914 105
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Alfa Romeo returns to F1 in Sauber partnership

The Alfa Romeo name will return to Formula 1 in 2018 in partnership with Sauber and Ferrari.

The Swiss outfit will be known as the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team from next year onwards, with the two companies entering into a multi-year agreement.

The deal will include "strategic, commercial and technological cooperation" and "the exchange of engineering and technical know-how", said a Sauber statement.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... tnership_/

Very interesting, also now we'll have another red car on the grid. 8-)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Nothing about the driver line up at Sauber yet.
Ferrari choosing to create a talent team is a very good thing to the sport and also contradicts Marcchione's threats to leave the sport.

LeCler will most likely get a drive at Alfa Romeo, so will Giovinazzi. At least that is my estimation. Both have won GP2/F2.
It will be the end of Ericsson and Wehrlein as active Formula 1 drivers.
Even if Ericsson has backing from a large sponsor and co-owner of the current Sauber Team.
Wehrlein is Mercedes driver and should have been pushed by Toto Wolff for a seat in a Mercedes powered team, like Williams. But they see more in Ocon it appears. They might be right, but Wehrlein has shown some very good races in an inferior car this season. But never be able to drive in the spotlights start to pay its toll.

I think it is great to see a big brand like Alfa Romeo back on the grid. We need more of those.

Next year is also Aston Martin who will step up at Red Bull Racing and considers building their own engines. Last is very important, as Red Bull's weakness is clearly the customer engines.

Finally Ross Brawn has been absolutely spot on with the proposed rule changes for the engines. Cheaper, louder, more reliable and less expensive to maintain. Badly needed to make the sport more competitive and to draw in new engine manufacturers.

2018 will be a year where the field might close a little more together. But also a year, where the foundation of the new era of Formula 1 will be laid.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Sauber has presented a concept livery for next years Alfa Romeo title sponsor.
As well as the new team logo.

Jean LeClerc and Marcus Ericsson will team up as drivers for 2018.

I did expect Giovinazzi there, next to LeClerc .... :shock:

Edit, Giovinazzi will be third and reserve driver at Sauber next Year. 8-)

So, obviously that is why it took so long. Sauber has not totally been swept away by Ferrari (yet).
Let's see how well Fred Vasseur can handle the Maranello pressure.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

When close racing was still possible...

PS That sound... :D

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Jean Todt has been elected as FIA preases for the third term. There were no other candidates :lol:

Congratz for rigging another election, forcing the HALO nobody wants and failing to give Vettel the boot. :woot:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The F1 Team Bosses election of best drivers in 2017

Top 10 drivers
Pos. Driver Team Pts. 2017/2016
1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 233 No change
2 Max Verstappen Red Bull 143 No change
3 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 141 Up two
4 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 112 No change
5 Esteban Ocon Force India 73 New entry
6 Fernando Alonso McLaren 65 No change
=7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 49 No change
=7 Carlos Sainz STR/Renault 49 Up two
9 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 47 New entry
10 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 39 Down one

Who voted

Toto Wolff, Mercedes
Maurizio Arrivabene, Ferrari
Christian Horner, Red Bull
Vijay Mallya, Force India
Claire Williams, Williams
Cyril Abiteboul, Renault
Franz Tost, Toro Rosso
Gunther Steiner, Haas
Eric Boullier, McLaren
Fred Vasseur, Sauber

Something tells me that Vettel will not be amused with that... :loll:
Ocon at 5th is one to keep an eye on.

Source https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/top- ... ll-986695/

Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

vettel up 2???
he should go down 5 because of all his shit
hitting Hamy, sandwiching Max and all the other crashes :doh:
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Team bosses choice, sure as shit not the fans, as i know many people who don't give a shit about Hamilton anymore, myself included.

Return to “The Lay-by”