PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

They can last up to 8Y before failure. But if you are a power user, i would replace it pronto.

WD are the most reliable HDD IMO. And i had a few... 8-)

PS You can do a full HDD check to see if there are broken sectors etc.
And you can clone the content to the new disc.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yes i ran a tool like that some time ago and it was 100% healthy, but i'll rather be safe that sorry, it would suck to lose my steam game folder some 400 gb

But yes, a WD Black 2TB+ is on the wishlist, but the WD Blacks are about double the price of a similar WD Green harddrive :D

But yes WD builds their drives really great, and the black is their top of the line harddrive
_

But at the moment there is nothing that indicate somethings wrong, it is just me that is starting to worry about it ;)
Fulysic
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:They can last up to 8Y before failure. But if you are a power user, i would replace it pronto.

WD are the most reliable HDD IMO. And i had a few... 8-)

PS You can do a full HDD check to see if there are broken sectors etc.
And you can clone the content to the new disc.
Totally agree WD best I swap mine out every two years force of habit, even if they are working fine especially when constantly installing and uninstalling games takes it toll.

But if you have your OS on the same drive swapping them out that often is probably not recommended

But i do say if you got some spare cash Intel SSD is way to go for your OS atleast :twocents-02cents:
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Good idea, if not for the fact i already have a 180 GB Intel SSD in my system, so i could nearly just swap my main storage drive out with a new one ;)

But WD Black, RED and Purple is the must relieable drives out there :D

Lol i really could not surevie a day without a SSD in my system, each time i use a harddrive only pc i start to get frustrated lol, i've gotten to used to the SSD speed :lol:
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

How long is a quality PSU able to work 100%, i have a 4 soon to be 5 year old Antec True-power 650w 80+ bronze PSU in my system now, now i'm just wondering how much long it will be able to deliver a good result.

Also have the opportunity to buy a used 4 month old Corsair AX 860w 80+ platinum PSU for about 110 euros

Is it worth it doing, or should i just wait for the other one to die at some point ? (any idea what the warning signs is? not is any at the moment)
_

Lol it seems like much of my original pc is getting is soon getting 5 years old :|
_

btw. tested my WD 1TB and it's still going strong - but WD also have a 5 year warranty on those things ;)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Those Corsairs are very good PSU. But i don't think you need a new one. Antec is good quality stuff. Besides, your new GFX uses less power than the 7950.

Also 110 for a second hand AX850 is rather steep TBH. Especially as they are not sold anymore. Sucessor AX860 costs around 150 over here. :geek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Joocyfroot
New Starter
New Starter

Bear304 wrote:How long is a quality PSU able to work 100%, i have a 4 soon to be 5 year old Antec True-power 650w 80+ bronze PSU in my system now, now i'm just wondering how much long it will be able to deliver a good result.
Only way to reliably know how well a used PSU is performing is to spend the 30 bucks and buy the tools to check it.

You could look at software diagnostic tools like HWmonitor to see the voltage output on the rails but even if you voltage outputs are good (within ~5% is acceptable) you are only seeing half the picture.
Joocyfroot
New Starter
New Starter

Btw, if anyone is thinking about SSDs there's a massive discount on a 480gb atm (200$ for a 500$ drive)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: comes with a free hat!
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote:Those Corsairs are very good PSU. But i don't think you need a new one. Antec is good quality stuff. Besides, your new GFX uses less power than the 7950.

Also 110 for a second hand AX850 is rather steep TBH. Especially as they are not sold anymore. Sucessor AX860 costs around 150 over here. :geek:
It is a AX 860 not a AX 850, and it is only 4 months old ;)

But i'm not going to buy it as of now, i have a long list of things to upgrade before that - Harddrive (4,5 year), screen (3 year) and then case and psu (4,5 year) :lol:

And yes my Antec PSU was pretty expensive back then, so it should and will have to last about 2 years more ;)

But then again every start to degrade at some point in time
_
Joocyfroot wrote:Only way to reliably know how well a used PSU is performing is to spend the 30 bucks and buy the tools to check it.

You could look at software diagnostic tools like HWmonitor to see the voltage output on the rails but even if you voltage outputs are good (within ~5% is acceptable) you are only seeing half the picture.
Okay i have watched my vottages before, but i'll start again, i'll post my findings once i stressing it abit ;)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Bear304 wrote:Okay i have watched my vottages before, but i'll start again, i'll post my findings once i stressing it abit ;)
I played games most of the evening and even did a Firestrike bench,

And i noticed little to none change in the PSU voltages, so i think it is still good

Return to “PC”