The Crew, The Traffic

No votes

Total votes: 0
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

If you give the player too much interaction with traffic, then you run into them manipulating it. Like TDU2 where you had some jerkweed parked for an hour and 50 cars backed up behind them.

Speaking of jerkweeds, had one who figured out the horn button can be taped down. Must have been a proud day at home, learned how to use tape. Much prefer devs fix the part about blocking other players. If only I could inject a virus in their machine and wipe them out from here. Have to contact the NSA for that I guess.
Arsinoe
Rookie
Rookie

MM,

I think you should be careful what you wish for, but that's my cynical side speaking. I have some issues with traffic behavior too, but I think overall the developers have come up with a good approximation of traffic to satisfy a large percentage of players . And by appearances, they have been tweaking it, because I have noticed different AI behaviors in the past few weeks. The most noticeable is that there is a lower frequency of lines of cars driving in tandem when there are two or more adjacent lanes moving in the same direction. You still see it during rush hours, but now there tend to be gaps and the cars are staggered more.

Since I am honest person, I will have to admit that the developers have finally taken a stab at correcting the stats. Unlike last Saturday, today I actually see a completion percentage that looks believable, seeing that I haven't done all the skill tasks or the hour-long faction missions. My cars even show mileage now, although by looking at my Lamborghini, I can say with some assurance that the numbers are wrong, simply because I used that car one Saturday and Sunday to do the monthly challenge of driving 621 miles--yet my odometer says 283 miles, which is about the miles I drove it last weekend.
Favorite car: Whichever one I'm currently driving? * YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/FollyOfArsinoe
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Stats are a different subject and more of an issue, as they also interfere with achievements and therefore Faction spoils. Not to forget the automated E-mails, stating that you are now experienced enough to join a faction or to collect your 100K CC from Joining a faction.
Worst thing about it, is that the patch notes stated that stats are fixed, but they are not. Especially things like 50 slalom skills in street spec etc. are still showing 0, even after i did some for a daily challenge. And waiting for the next month's patch round to fix that is just lame.

The monthly patches are fine, as they show the team is continuing working on fixing things, but if a patch breaks something else or does not do what it is supposed to do, a hot fix should be released pronto. :twocents-02cents:

Obviously some think traffic is fine the way it is. Overall it has been improved a lot since i drove The Crew in Lyon. TDU2 traffic interaction had some disadvantages as well. Maybe one day there will be a development team who gets it right.

:lol:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
blehz
Apprentice
Apprentice

For a team of 80 developers these fixes, and the quality of them, are ashaming.
I'm a developer myself, and although a game is a complex matter, this is not what I expected.
There are so many bugs and missing features, they should really get from first gear to sixth gear in improving this game.
Compared to everything else, traffic is also for me less important.
Arsinoe
Rookie
Rookie

MM,

You and are closer to agreement than it appears...if I come barreling down in the wrong lane toward an AI, I would expect the car to take some evasive action...if it sees me. At 150 mph+ though the AI might not notice me until it's too late (think about instances where two players coming from opposite directions collide simply because they did not see each other in time to react). I agree that the traffic could be better developed, but it isn't that bad now, and I rather see obvious bugs addressed first.

As you mentioned, not all the stats are fixed--I've done most (if not all) of the jump skill tasks, and the game says I've done zero. Keeping count (of miles, missions completed, etc.) shouldn't be a difficult thing to correct, so it's annoying to see it still being an issue. Maybe after seeing those issues resolved, I'd be more receptive to fine tuning traffic.
Favorite car: Whichever one I'm currently driving? * YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/FollyOfArsinoe
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The low speed interaction is exactly what i'm referring too. ;)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Arsinoe
Rookie
Rookie

Understood...I play chicken with traffic a lot. In TDU, cars would try to avoid you somewhat. In The Crew, I have yet to see them do much of anything except continue forward. It could be that these AI's are just incredibly brave--if they see a human bearing down on them, they figure the human will chicken out and take evasive action first! :eeek:
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

Before the horn idiot made me quit for the day I did some slow driving and meandered into the opposite lane at slow speed. At least where I was, 4 lane road, traffic did stop. The car does go around you after a short time which it should. Cars will also slow down or stop if you are barreling through or around corners and intersections. Not all the time so it shows that maybe some fine tuning to the collision detection could be used. The traffic however needs to keep moving. It may look stupid when cars drive out of the ditch but allowing more player manipulation would let someone like the horn fool create more problems.

Return to “The Crew Game”