AMD Polaris

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

With all the Nvidia horsepower floating around the web, camp RED has also a new GPU in the pipeline, the Polaris. And with Ngreedia prizes, there might be an opportunity there.

According to these leaked benches, which have to be taken with a grain of salt, the Polaris (480X) does not run far behind Nvidia's new GTX1080.
And AMD is known for a more modest price policy than Nvidia.

These leaked benches are based on "users" tests with the new cards. So they might be not too far from accurate.

Will team RED turn up the heat under Nvidia's feet? We'll know soon® enough :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Well that is excellent news, it will no doubt force Nvidia to to sell the GTX 1070 cheaper than they had planed to do.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Since a new Boss was appointed to the Graphics card division of AMD (ATI), a lot has changed for the positive.
For a starter the improved drivers. Always considered to be a weak point of the ATI/AMD cards. Now they can rival Nvidia.
At least a lot of progress has been made there.

And they are prefered customers when it comes to the HBM2 distribution.

But i'm under the impression that large scale manufacturing of HBM2 has been postponed. Maybe too many issues to deal with first, before a steady flow of the new memory can power a new generation of GFX.

A large quantity of memory seems to be a better option for now. As some tests have shown that up to 9Gig of Vram is used on 4K games, when AA is enabled.

So maybe we will see GDDR5X on high end AMD cards as well. :geek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Just what the doctor ordered. AMD introduces a 480X for just 200$.
That will hurt Ngreedia where it will feel it most; in their pockets.... :party:

And you can place 2 of them in CF and will have GTX1080 power for half the price.

Of course that is a bit flattered. 2 cards will always have issues and won't scale as good in every game.
But this is a very aggressive strategy from AMD/ATI and i like it.

The constant increase of release prizes of GFX has gone beyond sanity. There is no justification from mentioning development costs. Just greed.
The 800€ for a high midrange card (1080) is another example of that.

With this 200$ price and the improved and regular updated drivers, AMD has a killer in their hands. :2thumbsup:
Probably 200 for the 4Gb version and 250 for the 8Gb one. Not sure.

It also appears to me that this will be the chip architecture or a variation, that will power the new XBox Scorpio.

With the 2 largest Console makers as customers and this new 480X, they will rock this year. :mrgreen:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I can already feel the rapid price cuts coming from Nvidia, as Radeon sells their cards much cheaper, i think all the 1920x1080 users with GTX 660 and 760 cards will upgrade to the R480 cards as they get the most for their money.

I love AMD's choice to go after Nvidia's main marked share - the budget gamers, and with their new drivers regularly they are dangerous for Nvidia.

But lets see the Benchmarks, it is said to launch June 10th like the GTX 1070
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Bear304 wrote:But lets see the Benchmarks
Yes, benches in multiple games say a lot more than marketing talk.
It is already weird to compare 2xCf cards. But they do have a point in price/performance.

The 480X appears to have close to GTX980 performance, at just 150W TDP.

Card will be for sale, starting 29 June.

I don't think budget or 1080p gamers will think twice. For 200$ it is a steal.

199$ for the 4Gb version
229$ for the 8Gb version

:woot:

Goliath
New Starter
New Starter

Saw this earlier, this is mental! Like a dream come true, haha.

This made me wonder, i was going for a 1070 later this summer but now when AMD put this out, im bit curious.. I wont run any higher than 1920x1080, atm im using a 760 so either card will bring good..
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The 8 gig version of the RX480 will cost around 230$ in the US.

AMD does some things really good. Not just the price, but also the availability. Where GTX1080 and 1070 are hard to find and usually over priced, the stock of RX480 appears to be decent at launch.

You can compare the performance of the RX480 to the GTX970/980 from Nvidia. But for half the price and with better support to DX12.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Soon the these cards get and Nvidia be forced to cut the prices, but why not just wait for Vega cards, they probably be better thinking of price to performance than Ngreedia's offerings.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hmm bold words, lets hope their RX 4x0 cards can bring the fight to Nvidia's midrange offering and actually leave a big gabbing hole in their greedy side and puckture the bobble Nvidia has been in the last couple of years.

#Make AMD great again

And just to state it, i hate Nvidia, i won't trust them again as i haven't forgotten how they F***'ed the GTX 970 buyers over with lies, so i welcome AMD back to the fight and i cannot wait to see how their Vega chips will do next year, but for now i want to see Nvidia sweat.

Return to “PC”