AMD RyZen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

MicroSoft acknowledge the SMT bug in W10 with RyZen. SMT is AMD´s name for Hyperthreading.
If these issues get patched and game performance does inprove, there will be a lot less difference between Intel´s finest and AMD.
With every new platform and architecture, small bugs need to be fixed and software support needs to be optimized to get most out of it. With Intel as the main CPU supplier in the last decade, most programs will still work best with Intel. Including Windows. This is about to change.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I'm just here to rob it in with a pitch of salt that you haven't gotten your Crosshairs VI yet :mrgreen:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

ASUS BIOS looks promising, but half is not functional (yet) or does not work properly for a lot of reviewers.
Features are top notch. It looks good as well.

For many reasons it is not the best to fiddle around with base clocks. That is really only interesting for extreme overclockers who want to squeeze out the last bit of performance. For 99% of the users, including the casual hobby OC, it is best to leave the base clock at 100.

Right now i have terminated my current order with the shop, where i pre-ordered it, like mentioned in the upgrades thread.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Like i mentioned before, Motherboard support is just as important as the RyZen CPU itself.
Next to the limited preparation time, it appears that most motherboard manufacturers have only produced a limited amount, before they go full steam. Probably to see if RyZen is succesfull.

All shops seem to have delivery issues with the new boards. So ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, BioStar and whatever brand is making them, need to step up, to make up for delivery shortages.

Some shops shamelessly increased their prices 20% in anticipation of this weeks delivery.

Only good thing from waiting a week or two, will be the better BIOS it comes with. But it is not that hard to flash it myself to the latest versions.

RyZen has had a rocky but successful start, received mixed results from (slightly biased) reviewers and does not have the motherboard support that matches the CPU demand.
These things are better done at Intel. AMD has some catching up to do in a lot of areas.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Some of the weird performance differences with Intels finest, can be braught back to the way the RyZen is built.
It has 2 clusters of 4 cores. When workloads are switched between cores from another cluster, some latency can occur.

So the way cores are addressed is a key issue for (game) performance. Some of it can be fixed with optimizations, but not all.
Overall performance is still top notch. The 1800X is on par with the 6900K in most benchmarks. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.
That alone is a massive achievement. But Intel has a new battlestation ready. SkylakeX will hit the market soon®.

I will use the performance mode in W10, as it will prevent cores from going to sleep during games. Also do an OC on all 8 cores and totally ditch the X single core OC.
Leave the X with Professor Xavier and do not abuse it for marketing :twocents-02cents:

As the introduction storm has turned into a summer breeze, RyZen has risen and has shaken up the PC world.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

RyZen 5 will be available from april 11th.

It will be more focused on gamers.

1600X, 1600, 1500X and 1400 will be the line up. !600 are hexa cores 6C/12T and the 1400/1500X will be 4C/8T.

Clock speeds will be up to 4ghz boost (1600X).

This makes me wonder if they will be any faster than the 1800X in single thread performance and i do not think so.
However, they will deliver some excellent punch for the buck. 249$ for a good hexacore is really trendbreaking. Just like the 1800X was.

Ryzen 5 1600X 6C 12T 3600 MHz 4000 MHz 249
Ryzen 5 1600 6C 12T 3200 MHz 3600 MHz 219
Ryzen 5 1500X 4C 8T 3500 MHz 3700 MHz 189
Ryzen 5 1400 4C 8T 3200 MHz 3400 MHz 169

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

That will be a nice birthday present for me :2thumbsup:
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

@Mad
Did you see the AMD X399 platform leaks?

More info has leaked about AMD's X399 16-core Ryzen CPU

A few days ago we spoke about some rumours on a new high-end Ryzen CPU socket, which was said to support up to 16 cores and 32 threads with quad-channel DDR4 memory, creating a true competitor to Intel's X99 platform.

Now Canard PC Hardware has released some additional information on this platform, stating that it is planned for a release in 4/6 months and that AMD's current samples have TDPs of 150W. Canard also lists AMD's 16-core 32-thread flagship as having base/boost clock speeds of 2.4 and 2.8GHz, which is very high for a CPU with such large high core count.

This new platform is said to be coming with an X399 socket and an LGA CPU, bridging the gap between traditional desktop CPUs and server platforms. These new CPUs will also come as dual-chip multi-chip modules (MCM), which means that this chip is made using two CPU dies rather than a single, larger die.

More info has leaked about AMD's X399 16-core Ryzen CPU

When compared to other AMD Zen platforms, this new CPU socket will offer quad-channel memory support and CPUs with up to 16-cores, half of Naples' maximum of 32 cores and 8 channel memory and double that of AMD's Ryzen 1800X which supports up to 8-cores and dual-channel memory.

With a TDP of 150W, it is unsurprising that this chip does not have clock speeds that are as high as AMD's 1800X, though it is likely that this platform will support overclocking if it is marketed towards consumers.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That will be the server platform. And that is where it will hurt Intel the most. If they can achieve cost effective solutions for large corporations. Big server farms with 1000 cpus are no exception.

But i do not really see the consumer part of it. On the other side, there are enthusiast, who run Xeons now.

For normal daily use, 16 core 32 thread cpus are a bit overkill. :lol:

My 8 core 16 thread has already twice the physical cores as i used before. And you also need programs that scale well with multi cores.

And i still need a motherboard before i can even start. :angry-banghead:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Ryzen R5 seems be the death blow to Intel :mrgreen:

If virtual CPU core disabling is anything to go by, so the Ryzen R5 1600 is predicted to by the value king as it can hang with the much more expensive R7 1700+.

Return to “PC”