PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Whatever you decide make sure you do your homework on the noise these things make as nothing is more annoying than a big loud fan running in the background when playing games. :mrgreen:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Bezrider wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35 pm Whatever you decide make sure you do your homework on the noise these things make as nothing is more annoying than a big loud fan running in the background when playing games. :mrgreen:

Yea for sure, the True Spirit 140 Direct has a 21 DB fan, and the cooler is set up for low noise with low fin count so bigger fans can push air through it without to much effort.

Many reviewers praise it for being so cheap, and able to hang with the BIG air coolers like the twin-tower from Noctua that is nearly 2-3 times bigger, and it is only 5-6*c worse in the tests, so it really is a well made cooler, and it is only like 36'ish pounds. It really is the Underdog of the current air coolers.

And i have a Noctua fan that will fit on it, so i use push/pull on it, i'm really tempted to drop all my watercooling as it is to much fuss and worry now, and a air cooler is just an honest part that isn't going to fail.

And it looks so clean with the design, it is just a honest/simple and good performing cooler.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

A good aircooler, like the Megahalem, can cool just as good as an average watercooled setup. You need to take care of airflow in the case, or through the case a bit more.

From my perspective you do not need to worry about your watercooling setup too much. As long as you change fluids once every year, or so, or do a total clean and replace the tubes every 2 years, you will be fine.

It is still one of the more efficient ways to cool your PC, get maximum performance and keep it quiet.

To set your mind at ease, you can drain your system, exchange all tubes for new ones, exchange the O-rings on the fittings and use new coolant. That will most likely cost around a similar amount as a cheaper model tower air cooler.

You can use the new clear tube. :idea:
That will give a fresh look to your rig.

And it will keep your PC cooled for another 2 years. After that, you want to upgrade anyway. :mrgreen:

:ugeek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

All true, but there is still the cold hard fear in the bottom of my stomach that i fear something might go badly wrong at some point, so an aircooler would be much safer in that regard, plus i kind of want to get my money out of the watercooling gear, i'm just not sure which Cooler it should be, as there is pro's and cons with all of them.

And i want something different and not just a Hyper 212 Evo, i something more special.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

@ Mad

Have a look at 90% of my fittings, i'm making a list of what i have, and i have to stop and catch my breath ever so often, as each fitting goes but 5 euros on average...... :shock:

So just how much money do i have for in fittings, and then there is the expensive Radiator and pump combo and block, it all adds up VERY fast.
My watercooling parts:

Parts:
• EK Supremacy Evo (full nickel upgrade)
• EK X-Res Revo D5 (10cm tube) (plus 20 cm reservoir tube upgrade)
• EK X-Res Multi-top
• EK Pump uni-mount
• EK tube reservoir clamp mounts set of set
• HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis 420 GTS
• EK Vardar 140mm 1800 RPM ??

Extra parts:
• Spare replacement O-rings Bitspower
• 50’ish cm EK ZMT black tubing

Fittings:
• 10x (8 in PC) EK ACF - 10/16mm - Nickel Chrome (soft tube)
• 3x (2 on drain tubes) EK ACF - 10/13mm Nickel chrome
• ( 3 ? ) - EK AF Angle 45* fittings 3x black and (silver ? )
• ( 3 ?) - EK AF Angled 90* fittings 2x black and 1x silver ?
• Ballwalve (nobrand) F-F nickel chrome
• Plugs G1/4 ( to many to count - 6 so far )
• Plug in acrylic for LED’s G1/4
• EK AF X-Splitter 4F G1/4 nickel chrome
• XSPC G1/4 temp sensor
• XSPC T-Splitter 3-way F-F-F (came with the XSPC Temp sensor)
• EK AF Extender Rotary M-M G1/4 Nickel
• EK AF Extender 12mm M-M G1/4 nickel
• EK AF Extender 12mm F-F G1/4 Nickel
• Alphacool Y-Splitter (Black)
• Water filter G1/4 F-F
• Koolance Nickel water filter F-M G1/4
• Funky (nobrand) extender 12mm F-M (from broken temp sensor fitting)
• 3x EK AF Extender 8mm M-F G1/4 Black
• 1x EK AF Extender 20mm M-F G1/4 black
And i have another box where there is also watercooling parts in, so i have enough to go through, this is it so far.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay so maybe i should have done this, but i added the current sales value for each of the parts to the list and it is crazy just how much i spent on this silly pc, have a look, as i'm dizzy now. :shock:
My watercooling parts:

Parts:
• EK Supremacy Evo (full nickel CSQ upgrade) (89,09 euros)
• EK XRes 140 Revo D5 PWM (10cm tube) (140,31 euros)
• EK RES X3 Tube 250 (204mm) (17,33 euros)
• EK RES X3 Multiport Top (15,58 euros)
• EK UNI Pump Bracket 120mm (11,23 euros)
• EK RES X3 Holder 60mm 2pcs (4,11 euros)
• HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis 420 GTS (89,95 euros)
• 3x EK Vardar 140mm 1600 RPM ?? (say 20 euros each, 3x 20 = 60 euros)

Total 427,6 euros

Extra parts:
• Spare replacement O-rings Bitspower
• 50’ish cm EK ZMT black tubing
• Alphacool 50mm reservoir tube clamp mounts

Fittings:
• 10x (8 in PC) EK ACF - 10/16mm - Nickel Chrome (soft tube) (10x 5,11 = 51,1 euros)
• 3x (2 on drain tubes) EK ACF - 10/13mm Nickel chrome (3x 4,60 = 13,8 euros)
• 3x - EK AF Angle 45* fittings black (3x 5,08 = 15,24
• ( 3 ?) - EK AF Angled 90* fittings 2x black and 1x silver (3x 8,35 = 25,05)
• Ballwalve (nobrand) F-F nickel chrome (6 euros)
• Plugs G1/4 ( to many to count - 6 so far )
• Plug in acrylic for LED’s G1/4
• EK AF X-Splitter 4F G1/4 nickel chrome (9,18 euros)
• XSPC G1/4 temp sensor (5,5 euros)
• XSPC T-Splitter 3-way F-F-F (came with the XSPC Temp sensor) (4,5 euros)
• EK AF Extender Rotary M-M G1/4 Nickel (5,08 euros)
• EK AF Extender 12mm M-M G1/4 nickel (3,58 euros)
• EK AF Extender 12mm F-F G1/4 Nickel (3,06 euros)
• Alphacool Y-Splitter (Black) (7 euros)
• Alphacool water filter G1/4 F-F (16 euros)
• Koolance Nickel water filter F-M G1/4
• Funky (nobrand) extender 12mm F-M (from broken temp sensor fitting)
• 3x EK AF Extender 8mm M-F G1/4 Black (3x 3,06 = 9,09 euros)
• 1x EK AF Extender 20mm M-F G1/4 black (4.09 euros)

About 201,27 euros i think.

In all 628,87 euros

And now i would be insanely happy if i could just get 40-50% of that back when/if i sell it all.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

You can add 10% shipping and handling costs to that amount. Custom loops can set you back big time when you do it right with quality parts.

As you did use the good stuff, i keep saying that your loop is fine. As long as you do not overtighten fittings, especially not in plexi tops.
In addition to what i said earlier, exchanging O-rings and tubes is a piece of cake for you now and will set your mind at ease. Just do that when temps are a bit more pleasant to work outside. 2 bottles of new fluids (new color?) clear tubing 1(m) and you already have the rings.

And don't forget that the so called Aio solutions often run for 4Y without issues, due to the massive amount of glycvol they put in there.
As long as your contruct is solid, you have a good setup.

You would make a mega loss on those parts, and they are perfectly fine right now.... :shock:

Did you read some alarming piece about watercooling gone wrong?

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hahaha yea, i might have, but no the honeymoon is just over and have been for a long time now.

Right now it is more of a money perspective as i have next to no money and the watercooling parts is a gold mine, it is worth 600+ more likely 700 euros with shipping.

But for me it is just like the enjoyment has gone, and my D5 pump combo is also getting old, so i kind of want to sell it now when it works perfectly, rather than having to buy a new D5 pump once it dies. Also i'm not cooling my GPU anymore, and GTX 1070 FTW does not run hot at all, only 65-70*c max, so it is really not needed and i don't even overclock my GPU anymore as it is powerful enough as is.

And I'm also not running my CPU overclocked anymore, and to be honest i don't really find the temps that impressive. I think my blocks fins are gunked up or something, but 32 idle, and 65-73 load temps are terrible for a custom loop worth this much, so there you have my incentive to wanting to get out of watercooling soon, so might as well sell it so someone else can enjoy the parts as much as i used to do.

Remember the parts are from 10-9-2015 so thats what 2,5 years now, so i would say i have gotten alot of enjoyment about of it, so now it is just time for a change, and sure i keep it but the cost of running it is actually alot versus running a good medium priced air cooler, so yea it is just time to get out of watercooling.

Belive me i still love custom water, but it needs to be a full waterloop or it just doesn't make any sense at all having a 420 radiator and expensive pump combo...

---

And now i have an offer a Define C with window and Corsair H100 v2 cooler and money my way, so i'm tempted to just start a completely new build is a smaller case than the Define S i already have the plans for it in my head now, and could make the swap and still have money for the bank, and would get so much more enjoyment out of it, while he would be above the moon with happiness to build his first custom loop. :D

So now i'm thinking about it. ;)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Now it is just about time for the last drain of the system, and then i'll take every watercooling part out, and then install the Intel box cooler and underclock my i7 4790K to say 3,8 or 4,0 GHz so the tiny box cooler can keep it cool until i figure out which cooler i should get next.

And once the PC is back up and running i'll start on cleaning the parts in warm soapy water, hot water/vinegar mix for the radiator, and then i can message the guy who is interest in my parts and my beaten up Define S, i'm really looking forward to build a new smaller system in the Define C as it suits my needs much better now that i don't have watercooling in it.

But is -1*c outside today, as i'll work inside my room, hopefully the drain works perfectly :mrgreen:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Lol, i do not think that the boxed Intel cooler can keep that thing under 100 degrees under load. :lol:

A megahalem in P/P is still one of the best. Noctua NH14 or Scythe are very good as well. Scythe Mugen is massive. But the most quiet.
But i know that even simpeler smaller towers are very good with 2 fans. Especially if you keep your CPU within reasonable OC range.
Cooler Master and Gelid have these. And they are just around 30€.

Return to “PC”