PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The dude who wanted the whole deal has also a little one on its way. No doubt expenses will be toned down a bit in favor of the kid. They are little money drains. ;)

I think you can not go wrong with the Mugen. And a repaint / touch - up can be interesting. Why stick to black... :idea:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 pm The dude who wanted the whole deal has also a little one on its way. No doubt expenses will be toned down a bit in favor of the kid. They are little money drains. ;)

I think you can not go wrong with the Mugen. And a repaint / touch - up can be interesting. Why stick to black... :idea:
That guy dropped out a long time ago, apparently the Define S case was to big for his desk, so he dropped out.

Now i have a different guy, he wants the fittings and the block and pump, so that leaves the case and the radiator + fans. That guy was a on business trip which is why he couldn't answer my mails, so yeah, he is coming by on Saturday to have a look at the parts he is interested in, hopefully to buy. ;)

I chose gloss or mat black as i want to keep the build classy looking, whitout being to flashy. Remember i'll have my RGB lights if i need colors, and to be fair i think those silver caps on it would pop really well when the top is black. So i think it should just be black as other more exotic colors might clash to much with the other parts etc.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I did some wiring today, including the installation of an internal USB Hub. It needed power, so i had to add another 12V rail from the PSU. With only 3 cm space to work with between the PSU and the fittings, it was really a hassle to get into place.

There is a lot of visible cable salad. I do have some kind of solution for that, but that is for later and the finishing touch.
Stupid greedy ASUS with their lack of enough USB connectors on board....

I also got the temp sensor installed, as well as the 4Y splitter for the bottom fans. It is amazing, considering the size of my case, how little space there is to work with.

I got all the wiring done now, i think. Except the RGB stuff.

Now it is time to do the final test fitting and finalize the basic setup tomorrow, so i can get to do the tubing. :party:

PS All these tiny little plugs and wires are really not my thing. As i do not have tiny little Chinese fingers. :mrgreen:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Nice, long time in the making, but hope you get it done soon 8-)

I bought the Mugen 5 and a super cheap tube of Gelid GC Extreme, only 5 euros .... :shock: over 50%
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I mounted some RGB stuff, installed the Cable Mod extensions and started with some cable management at the back.
Massive cable salad over there. And i need to secure it to avoid loose cables getting into fans.

Also fiddled the green led in the reservoir top, that will light the whole reservoir, once it is operational.

The front bottom wiring still looks like a mess, but i will test the system first, before i will cover that up.

Maybe i will do the fill port today as well. And the drain. Those are the most easy tubes to do, but as the fill port will be permanent, it has to fold under a lid. Especially if i want to mount the case dust cover on top again.
The basic idea is, that you can not see what is going on from the outside, only through the window. That will be the final piece.

I found my tube cutter. That will make it easy to make clean cuts. It is meant for gardening hoses, but works well with watercooling stuff too.

Tubing is my next thing to do.... :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Pictures or it didn't happen :P

But nice you finally got started on it :)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Got some tube issues. Getting them on the fittings is no real problem, after some time in warm water. But the real short ones are driving me nuts. And once they are fitted, you can not remove them anymore. Not so easy anyway. That is a good thing too, as tubes won't come loose easily because of that.
But the fittings in the reservoir top come loose if you tighten the other end :shock:

I did place the fillport and the drain tap.

Maybe i will post some pics of the progress tomorrow. :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hmm, is the water not hot enough? I had the same isses with the Primochill tubing, i put the tube end's in so near boiling hot water and it made them slid on easily, and the compression fitting kind of gets mold the tubing around the fitting head so it is super tight.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

They are not meant to come loose. Only a very short tube (4cm) is causing issues as soon® as you try to tighten the fittings clamps. I will find a way to deal with it. I might have to replace the whole thing, including both fittings. :o

Kudos for the tube material though. A bit thicker than normal i think, but once it is in place, it sits tight.

The multi top of the reservoir is way thicker than the default one and does not look as nice. Because of it, i have these issues.

The case does fill up nicely with everything installed.

I will continue with the tubing on Sunday. :party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

PWM pump does not run for some reason. I used the bottom wpump jumper to mount the pump RPM control.
As i'm not used to PWM pumps, there might be something i forgot. Do i need to shortcut the PWM plug? Or simply remove it from the mobo during filling?

I will try the last now. :party:

PS During the analogue days, things were a lot simpler :character-oldtimer:

Edit; it does run, but somehow moves very little or no fluids. I'll check later.

As i went back to the standard single top, i have no filling port there. Maybe i should have filled the res before using the long fill port tube i mounted to the intake at the bottom. Filling it that way, should not be an issue, as long as the fill port is higher than the reservoir. But so far it goes very slowly and i see no real pump action. I might have to loosen a seal to poor in some fluid to fill up the loop partially.

It looked like a clever solution, but it is not. My triple port top is bust btw, the taps are done. These EK fittings only go in a little and that is nog enough IMO. The plastic material is also too brittle. Or i did tighten it too strong. But with just a mm or 2 more depth, the connections would be more solid.

But it is good i spotted the fittings come loose, as they were still in the top. :mrgreen:

Edit2; it was just a bleeding thing. Once i opened the top, it filled instantly. Pump goes way too quick. Fluid contains a lot of air now. But i did let it run for a while and there are no visible leaks. I will let it rest now and check later or tomorrow.

It would have been a lot more easy, if the top radiator had some extra tap points for fittings. At both sides. I thought this radiator had that, but it did not. It would make bleeding and filling a lot more easy. :idea:

I might have to add a little more fluid to avoid the foam bubbles in the res reaching the bottom. I knew the D5 pumps were powerful, but this is insane. It runs through the loop, like there is no resistance at all. :mrgreen:

I reconnected the PWM plug to the motherboard. Without it, it runs at full speed obviously.

Some more test runs later. :party:
Attachments
SAM_0714.JPG
SAM_0712.JPG
SAM_0709.JPG
SAM_0704.JPG
SAM_0702.JPG
SAM_0700.JPG
SAM_0699.JPG
SAM_0697.JPG

Return to “PC”