PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hey Bez, so as i know you have a Intel 4790K as well so i was wondering what kind of voltage does your CPU run at with your current settings stock/oc ?

I'm trying to fine tune my own CPU, as it keeps wanting to run very hot with high voltage, like it will run 1.349 V just stock which is crazy as it is a fire dragon, as it runs up to 90*C on some cores.

So as i don't OC as i just want my old cpu to last longer and run cooler so i'm just wondering what you run yours at.

Currently i'm testing with 1.229 V at just 4.4 ghz, with max temp of 82*c, so maybe my thermal paste is crap or my CPU is suffering from degradation as it was running 1.380 when it was watercooled, so maybe my CPU is just getting old.

I'm kind of leaning towards a bad contact between cooler/IHS/Chip as my max temps was 66/71/84/73.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Beardroid91 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:10 pm Hey Bez, so as i know you have a Intel 4790K as well so i was wondering what kind of voltage does your CPU run at with your current settings stock/oc ?

I'm trying to fine tune my own CPU, as it keeps wanting to run very hot with high voltage, like it will run 1.349 V just stock which is crazy as it is a fire dragon, as it runs up to 90*C on some cores.

So as i don't OC as i just want my old cpu to last longer and run cooler so i'm just wondering what you run yours at.

Currently i'm testing with 1.229 V at just 4.4 ghz, with max temp of 82*c, so maybe my thermal paste is crap or my CPU is suffering from degradation as it was running 1.380 when it was watercooled, so maybe my CPU is just getting old.

I'm kind of leaning towards a bad contact between cooler/IHS/Chip as my max temps was 66/71/84/73.
Hi Bear, Voltage is 1.040 (set to auto as i don't feel the need to overclock it as its fast enough for all my needs and will only shorten the CPU life)
Here is a live screen shot of things if it helps. :ugeek:
Capture01.PNG
CPU temp seldom goes over 50c unless under extreme load and even then i have never seen it over 60c. :D
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hmm okay, i guess i need to do some more research to find a good voltage for my beast, i tried to down clock it before but it resulted in bluescreen crashes, so i'll figure it out soon.

I might also be my motherboard trying to auto overclock it.

But somehow i doubt your voltage is enough for a benchmark test, as it seems very low, but i think my CPU is just a badly binned one, but i'm trying 1.180 V now, temps are okay with that, so might just leave it for now.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Some motherboards just put crazy voltages on the CPU for no reason at all.

CPU voltage under load that is.

You will most likely be able to go just as high or close with 1.24V core. Anything over 1.3 for longer periods of time will degrade the CPU.

What do you guys think about the next gen Intel series. It has proper soldered heat spreaders again and that 8 core (no more hyperthreading for me*) will rock in games.

*Hyperthreading migh boost CPU scores, but also introduces errors. And a lot of games, even multi core optimized, will run worse with hyperthreading on.
Also the much heard workload argument only partially counts, as you can render videos much faster by using the GFX shaders (if supported by your video editor).
You can disable hyperthreading in the EFI/BIOS and grab the new top model. But Intel is milking it as usual with almost double the prize.

8 cores (9700K) is plenty and will enable you to play and stream without effort.

And yes, i'm thinking of leaving the AMD hassle behind me and go back to Intel. Maybe AMD has one more fight left in my Rig Build Battle Arena, we will see. Memory prizes are tumbling, so maybe special optimized RAM can solve some issues. But it is way too fragile and picky for a stable long running base rig. Like driving a prototype with the expectation of issues all the time.

I need a system i can rely on for at least 10 years of heavy use.

:party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Will in that case then i really do think my CPU has degraded, i had it set to the preset Asus 4.6G option and it just hammered the voltage through the roof, like 1.350 V i think and it had my chip at 4,7 GHz with 1.300 V so Asus went insane with their presets. But if i can just keep my system running fairly healthy for the remainder of its lifespan then i'll be happy with it.

Also i'm not sold on Intel anymore, their offerings and quite frankly utter shit in terms of value, i would rather drop Intel in favor of AMD of a Ryzen 2600 or 2700. Like why pay so much for more for a few more FPS in games - like you would need to be a crazy diehard gamer to justify that purchase.

Like my system is soon to be rounding the 4½ year mark, so far it has been a awesome pc, and if the CPU keep lasting which it should then i would love to keep having it like 2-3 years more before starting to look into upgrading my pc as it is working great now. Oh and then 4790K is probably only 3 years old as i had the 4670K before, and i could have just kept that and been just fine imo. but Mad and i was all about the 3DMark benchmarks at the time...

Also the getting the 4790K because of the hyperthreading was the big upgrade factor, as the 4670K was essentially the same chip but without hyperthreading, but i would happily take physical core's over virtual core's.

But i expect Ryzen 4th gen to be out when i start looking for an upgrade, or Intel 11th series will cost 3 times what AMD sells their 4700 for. :lol:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I'm thinkin' of getting a new Corsair pre built watercooled PC. The One i160 :eeek:

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categorie ... 9020003-EU

This is an awesome system that has all that i need to perform in games. And it has a very smart cooling solution. :party:

It is not cheap though and it needs a bigger HDD or SSD for my games. :think:

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

That's a nice bit of kit :drool:

But that price.... :eeek:
I wish i could justify spending that kind of money on a PC but unfortunately, my other half is not into computing and would never understand the cost. :mrgreen:

I did recently buy a 32" 4K monitor though and she didn't seem to mind the cost so maybe i could just get away with it. :loll:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay so i may or may not have bought a Ryzen R7 2700 CPU for 170 pounds with shipping to Denmark from a UK pc hardware store called Box, i have never heard of them but they seem legit, so went on to buy it with paypal to be sure.

If i get it, yea not sure it is real or not, there is something to be said about things being to good to be true, but if i do get it than i'm order a MSI Tomahawk B450 motherboard and 16 GB Balistic 3000 mhz ram. I actually already have a possible buyer of my current i7 4790K, 16 GB ram and Asus ROG Ranger Z97 motherboard, he offered me 214 euros for my set, so i'm hardpressed not be sell it at that price as it'll only drop from now on and it more than i expected to get from for it.

So my fingers i crossed that i somehow can get the R7 2700 for the price, so i do think it is about time for an upgrade of the base hardware. Also this thread was started because of the issues i had with my PC setup in the beginning. And still to this day FUCK YOU Gigatrash for a crap motherboard. :mrgreen:
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yes cheap one of those, the R7 2700, the price is insane on it, no idea how they can do it so cheap, but if i can get it at that price then i'm happy. ;)

it was 156 pounds and then the i have 14 pounds in shipping they estimated may 7th.

Return to “PC”