PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
dpuff
Mechanic
Mechanic

Thats so clean, love the cable management. How wide is that tower holy crap thats a thicc unit. :D
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

dpuff wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 pm Thats so clean, love the cable management. How wide is that tower holy crap thats a thicc unit. :D
It's a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540.

They stopped making then a few years ago but i managed to find a new one for sale in Ireland (UK) he was asking £60 more than the retail price but i couldn't get one any ware else so i stepped up and paid. :mrgreen:

It has duel compartments so all the messy stuff goes in the back, one of the things that i liked about it. :D

LINK: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categorie ... 9011030-WW
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Bez wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:08 am The GTX 1080 is still holding it's own at the moment but the CPU is probably holding it back as well.
The Nvidia sweetspot right now is the RTX3070. Get the Ti with a triple fan for the best performance.
It will run 4K without issues.

Next gen will most likely focus on Ray Tracing improvements. Ngreed makes you still pay twice the amount for a higher end midrange GFX. :roll:

I had to pick the smallest non Ti version with double fan, due to HTPC and heat production.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
snake250
Apprentice
Apprentice

https://tinypic.host/i/291031300-874824 ... 02-n.c3h54

Well I Recently Went Out and Spent Some Dough on Upgrades.. Future Proofing and The Gaming Demand of 3440x1440 Pushed for Graphics Upgrades and Upgrades to the Cooling and Form Factor.. The Photo Above Is a Little Old But Can Promise Its Looking Good Now.. All 9 Fans Synced Along With the Ram

Upgrades:
ASUS Radeon RX 6900 XT TUF Gaming OC 16GB; Got For Just Over 1000 AUD (Thank you Crypto Crash)
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic; This Case is F--king Fantastic
Samsung 980 1TB M.2 SSD; I Had 1.5TB Combined Over 2x Sata SSD's and I Was Running Out of Storage.. the Current MB Has M.2 so I Thought I Would Take Advantage of Speed Boost.
And Another 6 Gigabyte Aorus RGB Fans to Sync with the 3 Used on the Gigabyte Aorus 360mm AIO and Dodgy "3600mhz" Aorus RGB Ram (Only Runs at 3000 Due to Crashing :angry-banghead: )

Already Had 10th Gen i9 With Z490M MB, 5.1 On All Cores in Winter Reducing Back to 4.8 For Summer.. Should Last Me Many Years as Saving for a House Will Not Allow Me to Purchase Upgrades for Some Period of Time..

The Old 5700XT Is Living Life at 1080P With the Bro..

When I'm Home Next I'll Take Some Photos of it in Action.
nathan is a mexican!!
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That looks like a nice bit of kit. :party:

I should really get into building stuff again but very little time ATM. :geek:
And after the last AMD hassle* i will go back to Intel. Even if the heat is on right now. :mrgreen:
I do have some hardware laying around, gathering dust. :shock:

*Never got that system to work. Paid the price for jumping on a new platform too quickly. And i will not make that mistake again. :naughty:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:41 pm *Never got that system to work. Paid the price for jumping on a new platform too quickly. And i will not make that mistake again. :naughty:
Really, i faintly remember this, but not the details, but surely a BIOS update or change of RAM could have fixed it ?

But yea, AMD Ryzen had alot of bugs, most related to RAM incompatibility, had my fair share of issues when i first got Ryzen.

And i'm hoping Intel's 13th Gen will be the one to change over to, but who knows.
snake250
Apprentice
Apprentice

Beardroid91 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 pm
MadManCK wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:41 pm *Never got that system to work. Paid the price for jumping on a new platform too quickly. And i will not make that mistake again. :naughty:
Really, i faintly remember this, but not the details, but surely a BIOS update or change of RAM could have fixed it ?

But yea, AMD Ryzen had alot of bugs, most related to RAM incompatibility, had my fair share of issues when i first got Ryzen.

And i'm hoping Intel's 13th Gen will be the one to change over to, but who knows.
The Dreaded Bio Update for Ryzen Chips to Work.. When I Had My 3rd Gen Ryzen System That I Spent Ages Trying to Work Out Why the Thing Wouldn't Start & Post.. I Lost 8 Hours Trying to Work This Out Due to at the Time Limited Information Regarding The Issue.
nathan is a mexican!!
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yeah i had that too, along with the stability issues of having made the bios update early on.

But, i did it the easy way as I had a Ryzen 2600 sp could just flash to a new bios when i got my 3600.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I have for longest time thought about making a PC upgrade, the choice of bitting the upper lip waiting or going Intel or the new Ryzen, but prices for motherboards and ram etc are just crazy inflated now.

So i did the next best thing (i hope for the long term), of changing my Ryzen 3600 to the lesser known monster that is the Ryzen 5800X3D, which with a BIOS update to my 3.5 year old motherboard dropped in and worked, and it delivers the same performance that a 13600K or 7600x would get you, but doing it on an old socket and on DDR4 RAM.

Only catch with this upgrade is forgoing being ability to overclock it, at all, as AMD locked it due to the 3D V-cache it has 96 MB of, that needs a steady voltage, and asking for more clock speeds would lead to instability. I guess this is the price of getting the performance it has, but so be it. Basically it is a 5800X with an additional 64 MB L3 cache put on top of the cores in the silicon die, so heat is also an issue, only had it get to 75*C so far, but with it boosting to 4.5 GHz itself i don't see the need for overclocking it myself, rather i think undervolting might be something to try instead.

So far it is an epic CPU, i just hope my motherboard can last another 3+ years, before a major platform upgrade, if it is even needed by then.

Return to “PC”