PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yesterday i got the PCI cover painted silver to match the PSU shroud, and today i got my AM4 mount for my Scythe Mugen 5 so now it finally fist the socket. So i googled what was a common OC for the Ryzen 2600 they said to change the multiplier to 41 and so i did, the voltage side is set to auto so the motherboard is doing that by itself.
2019-05-16 19.53.19.jpg
I don't know why i had gotten it into my head that Ryzen CPU's could not OC well .. but damn .. My 2600 clocked itself up to 4683 mhz doing the Prime95 torture test and only got to 72*c under full Prime95 load, stock clock maxed out at 55*c.

This was my try at Ryzen overclocking and i'm happy to just keep this OC for the for see able future as it seems solid, i ran Prime95 for 45 min with no issues so i'm happy.

Now if only the fucktards at Asus could make a better BIOS so the fan or temp sensors wouldn't stop working or become unresponsive, then i would be happy, but fans ramping up og turning off by themselves is beyond frustrating, but i have faith Asus will make a better BIOS when the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's come out. Or i might just sell this motherboard and CPU down the line and upgrade to Ryzen 3000 in the future if these problems keep happening.

But the overclock could be seen on the 3DMark benchmark, i added in my old 4790K system for the lolz as it beats the Ryzen's in some tests. :mrgreen:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/19306 ... s/19243721

Got to love free performance 8-)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

With the new Ryzen 3000 series launch i have been lusting a Ryzen R5 3600 badly, so i ordered a one earlier today :)

Even though i have a Ryzen 2600, i always wanted a Ryzen 3600, so by Monday i should have it. But the performance difference is just massive between these two CPU's, it a huge step forward for AMD, and Intel is .. well... fucked big time.

Also my motherboard got validated for the 3000 series CPU's today, i had been watching the motherboard support site like a hawk and the second i saw it was support i bought the CPU.

I am how ever taking a 110 euro hit upgrading, if i resell the R5 2600 for the current price they are going for, but for the performance upgrade i think it is alright.

Are any of you going to jump on the Ryzen 3000 series ?
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Hey guys! I know I don't come around these parts much anymore, but I thought I'd just update you guys on a recent purchase I made! I've recently bought a RTX 2080! I eventually plan on going 4K with it when I can scrape together the cash for a monitor of that resolution as well.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hmm did you get it on a good deal? I hope not retail price as the "Super" cards just came out :mrgreen:

But it is probably still a good card, Nvidia just screwed you.
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Beardroid91 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:48 pm Hmm did you get it on a good deal? I hope not retail price as the "Super" cards just came out :mrgreen:

But it is probably still a good card, Nvidia just screwed you.
They've actually been pretty heavily discounted because of the Super launch. They're normally 700, and I got mine for 620 USD before taxes. For context, the cheapest Super card started at 730, and 1: I wouldn't have been able to afford it after taxes and 2: I didn't feel like waiting a week to get paid again as they'd most likely all be out of stock by that point. Given that the Super card is only a few FPS faster than the normal one, I think I did alright.
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

Have not done much upgrading but decided I needed more storage. Prices have really gone down since I built the PC. I know I paid a premium for a 500 GB 2.5 Sata SSD vs HDD. I just picked up a Seagate BarraCuda 510 m.2 NVMe SSD with 1TB for $125 US. Think I paid double that for the old SSD. Plan to clone old SSD and use as new as boot drive and old drive for storage. Glad I made sure to grab a top line Asus board that supports these drives. The m.2 drives were way more expensive when I built the PC.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Whoamus wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:22 pm Have not done much upgrading but decided I needed more storage. Prices have really gone down since I built the PC. I know I paid a premium for a 500 GB 2.5 Sata SSD vs HDD. I just picked up a Seagate BarraCuda 510 m.2 NVMe SSD with 1TB for $125 US. Think I paid double that for the old SSD. Plan to clone old SSD and use as new as boot drive and old drive for storage. Glad I made sure to grab a top line Asus board that supports these drives. The m.2 drives were way more expensive when I built the PC.
Yes SSD's are super cheep now i use a 512GB one for boot and a few extra bits but my other 4 built in drives are still standard HD Drives. :(

But to be honest i use these more than anything these days SanDisk Ultra Dual USB 3.0 they are quick and ultra portable and you can get them in very high capacity these days. :D
https://www.picstop.co.uk/sandisk-ultra ... -64gb.html
Image Image
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

New SSD in and working. Booted right up after cloning. Worked great until I plugged in old drive and rebooted. Oops, two Windows OS didn't play well together. Had to clone drive again. For a couple of weeks I will just keep new drive attached. When I decide to attach the other drive I will boot with utility CD and wipe drive clean before booting to Windows.

This reminded me of my first HDD, a Western Digital 20Mb hard card which I paid double or more than the price of this SSD in the mid/late 1980's.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Whoamus wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:24 pm two Windows OS didn't play well together
That sounds like double trouble. :eeek:
Just imagine cloning Bill Gates. One of those idiots is already more than this planet can handle. :angry-banghead:

On the positive side, SSD are awesome for booting OS. But also for gaming.
Quick load times and less chance of game freezes. :ugeek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:31 pm On the positive side, SSD are awesome for booting OS. But also for gaming.
Quick load times and less chance of game freezes. :ugeek:
Had a SATA 500Gb SSD with a 300Gb HDD. Not enough space for my games. New SSD is m.2 NVMe so it skips the SATA connection, I would expect a little speed boost. Will keep using both smaller drives for storage and can keep games installed rather than uninstalling when I want to play something else.

Return to “PC”