Decided to upgrade

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Bezrider wrote:Had a week from hell at work so going out tonight to chill out with my mates and have a few drinks and start afresh with this project on Saturday. :drinkbeer:
The only thing I'm not sure on is the operating system to use do I go for Win 8.1 and upgrade for free when it comes out later this year or just go with the free trial of Win 10 for now and upgrade when its released later on. :eusa-think:
From what I've heard win 10 beta has compatibility issues with some game so I'd personally say 8.1.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I second that, Win 10 needs to be better, like in my case the OS can't find a LAN driver, so i is more or less bricked.

If you could, wouldn't it be an idea just to plug in the old harddrives and start up the system and it as it where before, but with new hardware powering it, i did that successfully with my cousins pc which i upgrade a few weeks ago ;)
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Bear304 wrote:
If you could, wouldn't it be an idea just to plug in the old harddrives and start up the system and it as it where before, but with new hardware powering it, i did that successfully with my cousins pc which i upgrade a few weeks ago ;)
I don't know about this, I think win 7 will reject the new system as it has had to many changes to the hardware.
I need to start with a new OS, still confused :?
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

You can try the old drives with W7. But there will be traces of old drivers, old links and other left overs. So you need to clean up thoroughly if it works. CCleaner, IOBit Advanced System Care and 360Amigo are good cleanup programs that also remove register junk and broken links.
W7 will auto install the new drivers for most hardware. And you can use the MB intallation disc that came with your motherboard.
It can be done. But a fresh install is always prefered.

If it works, you will get a couple of days to reactivate W7. This can be done by calling a phone number, if it does not work straightaway.

From what i hear is that W10 runs faster, smoother and makes games run better as well. It can probably update itself. You can try a dual boot to see if it works first, or just install it over the W7.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Ok thanks for the feedback guys, I have decided to give the win 10 trial a go and if I don't like it I can always install win 8.1 over it. :mrgreen:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I don't agree, but do what you feel like doing ;)

Btw. it was a Win 7 system i change the mobo and cpu, even AMD to Intel swap, and it booted right up like nothing had happend :P

And Win 10 isn't finished, though it may seem that way, there isn't really driver support for it yet, i wouldn't use it for your primary system ;)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

And use this tool when you install on your new windows, it will save you alot of time, pick what you want and it makes an installer and you have to install one thing 8-)

https://ninite.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Bear304 wrote: And Win 10 isn't finished, though it may seem that way, there isn't really driver support for it yet, i wouldn't use it for your primary system ;)
:angry-screaming: I had forgotten about this, one thing I am not going to do is try to install my old win 7 (time to move on) will think on it. :party:

PS thanks for the link will check it out. :rightthumbup:
Image Image
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Ok so I made my mind up and bought a win 8.1 pro key :D
It is now installed and working ok, this way I can update to win 10 for free when it comes out later this year. :D

Only had one small problem wile installing windows :scaredhide: I accidentally deleted my game drive :eeek:
It was totally my fault I was too busy reading the motherboard manual wile win 8.1 was installing and looked up when it was asking to install windows and I clicked on the wrong drive then clicked DELET to delete the old partition :shock: I knew at once what I had done but it was to late the damage was done. :(

Its not as bad as it sounds though as I also backed up all of my game saves onto an external drive before I started this build so apart from a few photos and videos I just need to re-download all of my games again and as I now have fibre broadband it wont take to long. :D
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Sounds good Bez :)

Lol i have done that to my external harddrive myself :lol: toke forever to recover it :shock:

Return to “PC”