Making a drive image

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I'm thinking of upgrading my SSD drive as they are quite cheep these days and my SSD is quite small (120BG)
Does anyone know of a good and reliable program to make an image of the old one before I do this, free would be nice but I don't mind paying for one if it will do the job.
I have noticed this Macrium Reflect v6 Free Edition dut don't know what its like.
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

If you buy a Samsung SSD, you will get a data transfer program with it. Works like a charm. Only for the OS disc.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Samsung's data magician software works very well ;)
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Ok thanks for that :rightthumbup: will look into it. :D
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I also grabbed a simple external casing that turns your 2,5" drive in an external one with USB 3.0
You can use that to transfer data to the new SSD and exchange them afterwards.

If you decide to grab a different brand SSD than Samsung, i used this manager before and it works pretty well.
http://www.aomeitech.com/
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Thanks for the links Mad will check them out. :2thumbsup:
Do you know how the Samsung software works when upgrading to a larger drive, dose it automatically compensate for the extra space of do you have to manually extend the partition to match the new drive.
I'm only asking this because I know some people have had problems with this, I think its something to do with the difference between making an image and Cloning the drive. :?
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I upgraded from a 120G SSD to a 256 SSD for the OS and could adjust the partition.

The manager in the second link can do a lot more than that. It can split, merge, extend etc. But it takes some knowledge.
Samsung Data Migration Tool only works for the disc with the operating system on it. The upside is that it is very easy to use and almost foolproof.

8-)

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Ok thanks, off down my local PC store now looking at getting this http://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/samsun ... drive.html
Doesn't say if it comes with the software but you can download it from Samsung site :D
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Yes, but unlike some other software, like MSI Afterburner that works with other brands, you can ONLY use it with Samsung SSD's :D

Goodluck with it. Looks like a nice pick there.

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Not having any luck with the new drive, been on for over a hour trying to get the PC to recognise it but it ether fails to see it and on the odd occasion it dose it just says failed to install the drivers. :(
To late to take it back to the shop today but that looks like the place I will be heading tomorrow unless you guys can think of something else to try? :?
PS I also tried plugging it into my laptop (I am using a 2.5 drive bay similar to the one Mad posted) and it just said failed to install the drivers for mass storage device. :teasing-nutkick:
(Have also tried another drive bay just in case with same results)
Image Image

Return to “PC”