PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That leaves me a few options. I can grab a different Motherboard, probably MSI, for the AM4 RyZen. Or go completel Intel and shelf this disaster completely. If the processor is bad, a new motherboard won't solve it. I think it is the motherboard though.
Either way, it would mean disassemble the loop and start over again. Not happy with that, but it is what it is. And i do need a new rig soon®.

:party:

So, either the MSI gaming M7 or the Titanium

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-M7-ACK.html
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-XP ... ANIUM.html
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I think a swap for Intel 8700K would have be the ideal and it most likely give the best gaming performance as Ryzen 1900X would just keep bring issues with multi core support etc., i don't know if they fixed the issues they had, but it wouldn't run smooth as there was to many cores, and some games would only use a few core's and load them 100%.

So yeah, if it were me then i would have sold of the parts along time ago, and switched to Intel, as AMD is still the budget option imo.

Even-though i have a love / hate relationship with Intel, then i must say they make a solid chip and chipset for it.

But Intel motherboard and CPU would be a costly change.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I have the 1800X, 1900 is threadripper and twice the die-size, lol. :lol:

As i already have this chip, i want to see it work. I can always turn it into a dedicated workstation only.
Motherboards have been reduced in price lately, so i can easily buy a very good X370 chipset board and see if it works with my RyZen.
If the CPU is dead, there are other options, inlcuding the more expensive complete Intel swap. 8700K most likely.
It won't be too hard to sell X370 chipset boards.

PS In the tests i have read, the 1800X performs pretty good in games. With multi core support. Add to that the workstation able processor power and you see why the 1800X was my first choice. It performs similar to 8 core Intel in demanding tasks, for half the price.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I got word from my Motherboard vendor. As i have 3Y guarantee, i can RMA it. Will take up to a Month though. And it pays off to buy hardware from a good online shop, as i did.

I think i will follow a different path though. Even if i like this boards massive amount of external USB connections and other basic features, it has some shortcomings by design. Internal USB connectors for example.

So i will RMA this board and grab another one from a different manufacturer. Most likely MSI. I will have to drain and disassemble my loop for a large part anyway. And the MSI M7 board is awesome. When the ASUS Hero board will return i can either sell it or shelf it. They sell new for around 240€, so i will most likely get a good price for it. I will write off the difference.

The third option is to ditch the whole RyZen adventure, grab an Intel 6 core 8700K and 1151.2 socket motherboard. That is the most expensive fix. Most soft- and hardware is fully compatible with Intel. So it has more benefits.

For now i tend to go for the MSI board and make the RyZen work. If that doesn't work out, i can go Intel as a final solution. And that is the most expensive route to take. As i will buy a new RyZen board and Intel if it does not work. But for some reason i still want to give RyZen a chance.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I hope going MSI is the answer for your troubles, but imo, you should have done a test boot on air first, but you jumped the gun and build a water loop on a untested foundation, lesson learned now I guess :p

Luckily for me my 4790k build is running great still, only problem is that the GTX 1070 FTW radiats some electro noise, which I can hear in the sound which dives me insane as it is coilwhine being sent to my ear via the headphones. :(

But bought a USB sound card, and that solved it ;)

But I hope the MSI motherboard is plug and play for your setup.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Even if i had dry tested it on air, it would have had troubles with the EKWB backplate. It is no guarantee, but can save you some troubles when building a loop. And normally i always test things first. The ASUS Hero has too much flex. It bends too much and that might be the issue under the CPU socket.

I do not know if MSI is the solution. It can still be a bad CPU. :geek:
But the MSI M7 is an awesome board that did not exist last year, when i bought the other one. It has enough internal USB connectors, so i can ditch the usb hub. It is less focused on waterloops than the Hero. No temp sensor for example. But there is a pump connector. The overall design is very good with built in M2 coolers.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-M7-ACK.html

But better to spend 250€ now, than 700€ on total Intel. I can always sell or return the other AM4 board. :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Awesome looking motherboard, lets just hope it works and performs well. ;)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I have ordered the MSI M7. It will arrive before the weekend. The ASUS Hero will go RMA and i will sell it when it returns, or shelf it. I really do hope it is not a faulty CPU. But i can return this new board within a few weeks if needed. And i have no other way to test if this CPU is functional.

A lot of hassle for a new build. I will get there eventually. But i had easier ones :mrgreen:

:ugeek:

PS I forgot to order a new tube of thermal grease... :facepalm:
As this board does not have the extensive watercool goodies ASUS brings to the table, i can use temp sensors in a different way. Maybe some drivebay display with fancontrollers etc. I'm also thinking of exchanging all SATA cables with modded ones. So maybe i will visit Highflow one more time. These guys must have a Yacht in the Carribean from my money by now. :lol:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Thats nice, shame about it not having a temp sensor, i think that is a mistake, as they are so useful for setting up fan profiles etc. Like i have my 2 120mm slim LED fans in the top of my case and as they are bit to noisy to have running all the time at idle, so once the temp sensor gets to 26+*C then the fans kick as by that time the GPU is a toasty 65'ish*C and it kicks of a ton of heat. Without the fans installed the case would be over 40*c in the top - even the glass side window would be hot to the touch, with fan profiles it has been sorted out.

I also got my AI Suite to work again after Window 10 messed it up, not it needed to be ran as admin to even start at all.

Also be careful of the temp displays, as i had 2 where the thin wires got so hot it melted the rubber coating on the cable and it smelled like the whole PC was on fire. :shock: Maybe my PSU had to much amp on that rail as it did the same thing 2 times a row, but i love the idea of temp sensors displays but the quality of them is shit, luckily i court it in time before it could have shorted out the PC.

Would be so annoying if it turns out it was a dead CPU and have to sent it all back and get Intel :mrgreen:

Btw i need my thermal paste as well for when i take the CPU cooler of and paint the top of it black.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I think i will buy a very simple temp display with only the temperature and with green led and place that somewhere on the HDD cages. The side is the more interesting place for it anyway.

I won't get sleeved SATA cables as they charge 15€ a piece and i need 6 of them. :facepalm:
So i will stick to the black ones. 8-)
Edit; i found some from a different brand and also better length (45cm), so i'll grab those. They are black plugs and green sleeved. Problem with a big tower, is that most cables are too short. These will do nicely.

Temp sensors need 5v and not 12v. I will monitor that closely.

I do not really need to set up a water temp based fan profile, as i will use the CPU temp instead. And with so much extra cooling capacity, i can probably run fans at the slowest speed anyway.

Return to “PC”