PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Beardroid91 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:37 pm Which CPU cooler, it might be dying or something.

Maybe the block in clocked up with gunk which hurts the cooling performance, but it shouldn't happen to closed loop coolers as they run antifreeze coolent. But either the pump is getting bad or the block is gunked up.
This is my cooler: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categorie ... 9060025-WW

Something definitely wrong somewhere. :?
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

They stuff it with glycol, to avoid corrosion, but these AIO coolers also use aluminium and copper in the same loop. :eeek:

I had mine running for about 5Y without issues (Corsair H110). But i do not know what the lifespan really is.
Changing coolant and flush the AIO might be a tricky thing without drains. The coolblock might be cluttered. Disassembling, cleaning and reassembling will not be easy, not to mention refilling the system with glycol (car antifreeze, lol). Flushing it with distilled water in two directions might do the trick. Refilling it will still be messy.

Maybe time for a brand new AIO or a good air cooler. :idea:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:02 am They stuff it with glycol, to avoid corrosion, but these AIO coolers also use aluminium and copper in the same loop. :eeek:

I had mine running for about 5Y without issues (Corsair H110). But i do not know what the lifespan really is.
Changing coolant and flush the AIO might be a tricky thing without drains. The coolblock might be cluttered. Disassembling, cleaning and reassembling will not be easy, not to mention refilling the system with glycol (car antifreeze, lol). Flushing it with distilled water in two directions might do the trick. Refilling it will still be messy.

Maybe time for a brand new AIO or a good air cooler. :idea:
As it is a sealed system i don't think flushing it is a realistic option, even if it might be possible it will also void the 3 year warranty. (If only i could remember where i got it and could find the receipt :oops: )

I had a word with the head of the IT department at work today and he suggested checking to see if any background programs are stressing the CPU, i did find one or two old programs near the top of the list but nothing of any interest.

I've deleted them as they are no longer needed ( used to run an old mouse profile plus some other mouse-related stuff )
Will keep an eye on it for now and if it gets any worse i might do as you say and invest in another cooler. :think:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Yes, deactivating unneeded background programs can save some temps and CPU stress. I had one recently that kept my HDD rambling and 25% CPU use. That is one core constant active. Sometimes programs do not close completely or continue searching for something that is not there.

The high temperatures might be related to the Indian Summer we had this year. But over 50 degrees idle is too high.

Other defects can be a faulty voltage (pump) regulator, a loose contact or a malfunctioning temp sensor.

Just keep an eye on it for the next couple of weeks to see if the issues persist.

PS I do know people who disassembled AIO waterloops, exchanged tubes for more fancy ones or even extended a loop with a GFX cooler or extra radiators. And you can use pre mixed coolant.
Only problem is topping it off, without air bubbles in the loop. Best in a sink or bucket.
It is the last thing to do and i would rather buy a new one, as they are not that expensive.

PPS, i have that a lot, not knowing anymore where the hardware came from. :mrgreen:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That green pastel holds pretty well. :mrgreen:

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Ok so just got back from holiday on Wednesday and PC is still acting up with temp going up and down from time to time so today i decided wile i still have a bit of time before i start back to work on Monday to buy and install a new liquid cooler. :D

Went down to my local PC store and ended up with this:
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R Addressable RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler
35-103-264-V07.jpg

Works really well and the temp is now stable at around 30 on idle (haven't tried stressing it yet :mrgreen: )

Just need to do a bit of cable management and all will be good. :D
20180907_150809.jpg
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Bez goes R.G.B :mrgreen:

Nice solution. :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Looks nuts with all that RGB, but i hope it solves the heating issues.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Beardroid91 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:23 am Looks nuts with all that RGB, but i hope it solves the heating issues.
Seems to be working ok, so far temp has never gon over 45 degrees even when playing games but still haven't tested it on something really stressful yet. :scared-eek:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Might go back to a AIO CLC soon, as my aircooled heatsink cooler isn't that good, it has a hard time managing the heat output of the 4790K - would be idle 33-45 and then peaks at 80-88*C doing some insane cpu loads like when opening up The Crew 1-2.

But no funds for fun projects anytime soon so i'll have to live with it, but it is quiet so that's a plus, and think the PWM in pull mode is only running idle so i think i could get more performance out of my cpu cooler, and dust build up is also starting to become an issue, as i need to clean it out soon.

Return to “PC”