PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Bad luck on that, i hope you can get it sorted as it sounds like a nightmare especially as the warranty will of now run out i think. :think:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Warranty is 2 Years in EU. 8-)

But i'm not convinced, that another backplate with thinner rubberpad will solve these issues.
I tried tightening and loosing up the thumbscrews of the EKWB. Now the board does not react at all again.

The mount might be related. But it is not very assuring when a chip does not stay put in its socket. It can be related to the die size, that is at least twice as large as my latest Intel CPU.

So, right now, i do not have much confidence in this CPU/Motherboard combo. If the mounting system is that critical, who says the machine keeps working? It might just drop out again for no reason.

I will disassemble part of the loop and try to re mount the waterblock with the new pad, but there are other options as well.

I need a reliable system to work with. All my self built PC's still work. This includes the ones i built for others and the ones at the office.
If the base materials are a reason for concern, i should consider going back from scratch again. With other components.

On the other hand, there are enough users without too many issues with an AMD RyZen rig.
I sold my AMD stocks with a nice profit last year. But despite their come back, the current value has dropped a bit and it will be crucial for them to show the World they are back to stay. Rushed releases and mediocre mounting mechanisms and poor support during release of a new product are not things you want to see from a company.

I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but maybe i was wrong to do so. Many of us liked the idea of Intel getting slapped on the wrist for being lazy and milking their CPU line up. They did adjust their price tag a bit, so AMD did cause a stir at Intel. But will they be a serious threat? Quality is very important in the IT business.

:party:

Edit; i have contacted EKWB and also asked them how a mount can be reponsible for these code 8 and non boot issues.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

In theory wouldn't the AM4 socket be damaged due to excessive mounting force? And it rubber back piece being thicker means the screws could be tightend to much, and with the thinner rubber back piece it puts less force on the socket, so maybe the you thightened it to much time first time you installed it, so it cracked the socket so some of the 940 pins get push lose or something.

So yea i think the mobo is dead, and no warranty would cover user error while installing a CPU, if worked and then didn't at some point then there could be a case for a RMA but since it never booted, and you also said you had issues installing the CPU block when you installed it - so yeah ... you killed it. :(

But you should try to contact Asus's support i guess, but they might not include user error in the warranty.

So yeah ... that's what 200 euro's out the window now, there went your AMD stock sale profit. :mrgreen:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

You can not overtighten the screws, as they lock. EK prevents that. At the same time it is weird, that just a rubber backplate can cause such issues. Some even said this rubber is conductive, lol. Probably not.
It might be just the opposite. The thick rubber might prevent the mount to be screwed in far enough. That can cause a bit of play and can be the reason why it does not make full contact. When i mounted it, it looked solid to me though.

I will await the answer from EK. And contact Asus, if the problems remain after the exchange and remount.
I don't think the CPU is dead. But we will see.
As the internet is full of complaints from users with similar issues and this mounting solution, it might be an easy fix.

I simply hate having to tear apart a good working waterloop. :angry-banghead:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I hope for an easy fix, but fear the worst.

So after a few weeks i have actually sold a good deal of my old watercooling parts, sold about half of it now, and got about 155 euros so far, but i still have a few fittings and the 420 radiator and fans, and the D5 Pump/res combo even-though my price are more than fair, but i guess there isn't alot of interest in watercooling parts doing the winter, so might have to hold on to the parts for a few more months as by then the threat of the summer heat will be there.

So the sells have now paid for the new case and cpu cooler. ;)

But i have also looked more at fans, and it seems Corsairs ML premium line is cheap but yet offer best in class cooling and control, so they have the magnetic bearings and can spin up to a crazy 1800 RPM while also being PWM and being cheap, but still i'm not sure i want to blow the money on fans, as the current Fractal fans do the job, okay, but could ways be better i guess.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Got reply from EKWB
The issue is not the backplate it is most likely due to the rubber gasket
The rubber seems to not be allowing some users PCs to boot. you should not have any issues once you get the new gasket.
Makes me wonder what material that rubber gasket is made of. Probably some recycled materials from Tjernobyl... :roll:

This reply makes it sound like a normal issue, with an easy fix.
I disagree, but lets see if it works first.

:party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Beardroid91 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:57 am i still have a few fittings and the 420 radiator and fans, and the D5 Pump/res combo even-though my price are more than fair
I might be interested in the D5 Pump/res. Depending on price and if it is complete with seals, tops etc. (EK?).
Right now i have enough materials to make a second loop , except a pump. ;)

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 am
Beardroid91 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:57 am i still have a few fittings and the 420 radiator and fans, and the D5 Pump/res combo even-though my price are more than fair
I might be interested in the D5 Pump/res. Depending on price and if it is complete with seals, tops etc. (EK?).
Right now i have enough materials to make a second loop , except a pump. ;)
Yea the D5 pump / combo is working as it should, there is nothing wrong with it, and currently i have it at 57 euros, also still have my drain setup.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Beardroid91 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:47 am

Yea the D5 pump / combo is working as it should, there is nothing wrong with it, and currently i have it at 57 euros, also still have my drain setup.
I sent you a PM with a one time offer. :character-blues:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

EK has shipped the new gasket with express shipping. I will have it before the weekend. :2thumbsup:

And thanks to Bear, i will soon® have enough matrerial to create a second loop for another project. :party:

Return to “PC”