Test Drive Solar Crown Talk

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I want to go driving, not shopping :twocents-02cents:

Maybe they are implementing the latest gizmos, like Ray Tracing and direct SSD access from the GFX. And focus primarily on the next gen of consoles and GFX Cards. Some might disagree with that, but i don't. In the past we have seen developer teams making games backwards compatible and it never paid off really. Focus forward.

Ok, i'm slightly biased now with my ray tracing monster. But in the demos it only runs at 30fps and i need at least 60, so for now it is more like a gimmick and might be fully operational the next gen GFX or the one after.

Also the PhysX could be used so much more and better.

And the focus should also be on driving dynamics and interaction. Maybe an open World Sim is too much to ask for and not what the majority wants, but something close would be nice.

And then there is the licensing and branding thing. :roll:

For now a status update from Alain would be nice. :smoking:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
AlexVII
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Looks like we may get houses after all!

I've done a video on this as well!
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I'm not saying we wont get the chance to buy houses in TDUSC but i do think that sign has nothing to do with it as it just looks like a crappy little shop :loll:

If this option is in the game then i think the location would be something better in my opinion. :twocents-02cents:
Image Image
Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I think it"s kind of a given that there will be houses etc again
if ya look at the first trailer, with that Range Rover and Aston Martin
wenn they jump out to race ...
they jump out the back of a Yacht !
dpuff
Mechanic
Mechanic

Houses are a big part of TDU's core ingame luxurious lifestyle, it's not just about the cars in a game like this. So not including this feature would be huge letdown in my opinion.
Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Some interesting points in this brake down video.
Image Image
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I have found this interview with Alain Jarniou on the 26th of October talking about the upcoming Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown

Some of the things he talks about are interesting, lets hope they are true. :D
Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown won't be a Forza Horizon clone
Over the last ten years, Forza Horizon has become one of the most popular racing game franchises ever. Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown may also be a driving game set in an open world, but Jarniou makes it clear that the similarities end there.

“I play Forza Horizon. It’s a very nice game. It’s also a copy of Test Drive Unlimited!” he joked. “In the beginning, they were inspired by the Test Drive Unlimited license. They’ve done a very good job of making it fun with different game modes. But it’s not the same as TDU. There’s no game like TDU even today.”

The TDU series isn't just about driving. It's also about living a lavish lifestyle. In previous TDU games, you create your own avatar, meet other players, and buy extravagant houses with garages to store your dream car collection.

Forza Horizon 5 is often criticised for giving out cars too frequently. There’s little sense of progression and accomplishment when you can drive the fastest cars early in the game. Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown will take a different approach with progression by making you work to get the best cars.

“In Forza Horizon, you do a Wheelspin and you get two cars. Or you do a mission and you get another car. You’ve got lots of cars in your garage. But you don’t work for it,” said Jarniou.

Forza Horizon games have hundreds of cars. TDU’s car rosters are smaller, but every car feels special. The sense of ownership in TDU games is still unmatched too: you can visit dealerships, choose paint colours, and customise the interior with factory-correct options. This sense of ownership and love for cars will continue in Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown.

“In TDU there are fewer cars, but you choose these cars. The relationship you have with your garage is stronger in TDU than in any other game. You must earn money to buy the cars of your dreams. You spend time with your car, upgrading it, playing with it, and showing it off with other players.”

TDU isn’t a traditional racing series. In essence, it’s about the joy of driving and the thrill of the open road.

While the Solar Crown racing championship is returning from TDU2, it's just as fun to put the roof down, cruise around the environment, and enjoy the drive with the windows down and your favourite radio station on full blast. Once again, Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown will capture the feeling of enjoying an extended road trip with friends.

“I know that many TDU players love to just drive around with their friends with no specific goals. I think that’s the TDU spirit,” said Jarniou.

“It’s a more emotional way to play for players who love cars. I love cars and I love to share this with other players. It’s more about driving and enjoying your cars with your friends than competition and racing. It's a different way of experiencing your cars.”

Getting the driving experience in Solar Crown right is crucial. While it won’t be a hardcore simulation, it will offer a more realistic driving experience than its rivals.

“When you are able to go off-road and climb mountains, it’s not the same level of simulation like a Formula 1 or WRC game,” Jarniou explained. “The idea is to be more simulation than The Crew or Forza Horizon, which are quite arcadey."

“Part of the enjoyment of driving is to have something that’s realistic but not too simulation. But we want to give players the freedom to tweak driving aids to get something that’s closer to simulation if they want.”

Crucially, every car in Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown will feel unique to drive in contrast to Forza Horizon where “you don’t really feel a great difference between cars.”

“I want this feeling of driving the right cars with the right feelings to be stronger in TDU than Forza Horizon. It won’t be a racing simulation – it will be a driving simulation. When you are in a Ferrari or a Beetle, it’s not the same experience. You will feel it. That’s important when you love cars – you want to feel the difference between them.”

Hong Kong Island is smaller but more diverse
Solar Crown is set in a 1:1 recreation of Hong Kong Island. At around 30 square miles, it’s a much smaller map than we’ve seen in previous TDU titles compared to Oahu (600 square miles) and Ibiza (220 square miles).

Some fans are concerned about this, but Jarniou assures us that we shouldn't be worried. To make up for the smaller map size, Solar Crown’s Hong Kong Island will be considerably more detailed and diverse than the locations in previous entries.

“Hawaii is a big island. But when we made TDU1, about 80% of the surface was just roads or countryside. There wasn’t much diversity in terms of gameplay. Hawaii is a nice location but Hong Kong Island is very diverse.”

“On the north of the island you’ve got these big cities with skyscrapers like New York with rich and poorer areas. When you go to the south of the island, there’s lots of vegetation and beaches. It’s a very natural environment.”

“The gameplay possibilities were very surprising when we were looking for a new location for Test Drive Unlimited. We chose Hong Kong Island because it’s a very interesting place. We always want to get something that’s 1:1 scale in TDU. We don’t want a bigger island that's scaled down – we want it to be 1:1 scale.”

Although KT Racing is painstakingly recreating Hong Kong Island with a 1:1 scale, extra roads are being added to bring new gameplay possibilities. “For example, a pedestrian road can become a road you can drive on. We have more roads in the game than in real life. We want it to be realistic but the gameplay is very important.”
If they stick to the things they are talking about in this interview then i think Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown might have a bright future. :2thumbsup:

Link to original interview: https://racinggames.gg/misc/interview-t ... zon-clone/
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Bring it 8-)

Not a single clue about timelines or possible test events etc.
And i stay concerned about the map. I do like long drives with slow changing scenery.

But he is right about other games not utilizing their map very well. And just one location simply won't cut it. :naughty:

But we will see when the first miles are shown and can be driven :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Steam page updated :party:

Return to “Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown”