Case Modding

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Read only online that guys with the Kraken G10 + Corsair H75'ish where seeing game load temps of 49*c

That's a huge lib from my Gigabyte windforce that hovers at around 67-70*c and heats everything up, so i'll look into making a VRM cooler for it out of old AMD all aluminium cpu cooler, and already ordered 8 1,5x1,5x0,8 cm VRAM heatsinks ;)
_

But need to mount to top radiator and finish the mods i have on the list now before i watercool the GTX 970 8-)

My work list:
  • Remove all parts from the case and prepare for cutting
  • Cut the top of the case
  • Cut / mod minor bug with my case, like fan grill that is limiting intake airflow and make more / better options for cable management
  • Fix broken front USB header
  • Hard mount the CM Nepton 240M cpu cooler to the top of case
  • Test fit if the Corsair H75 cpu cooler can be mounted at the rear fan, if not mod fit etc
  • Clean case with air compressor etc
  • Remount hardware
  • Redo cable management
  • Test fire, if OK then DONE
Long list, bur it should be doable as i have all day tomorrow cleared up for it, and i have everything i need ;)

Will try to remember pictures but can't promise a full buildlog
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

There are two ways to mount the small radiator for the GPU. On the inside of the outtake casefan mount or on the outside. Last has the advantage that you can leave the case fan in its spot. Disadvantage are the hoses on the outside, or you will need to drill custom holes for them.
And don't forget to protect the hoses from sharp metal edges. There are rubber protection sets for that.

I gues you go for the total water solution with a double watercool loop setup. That will cool things down for sure. :occasion-snowman:

Vrams and also MB chipsets and Ram modules will need some additional airflow. A few smart placed low speed fans can already fix that and will be almost inaudible.

Best to do some extensive tests with temperature measurements.

But with 3 fans in the direct perimeter of the chipset, you will probably have no issues there. The Vram on the other hand will need some airflow. Maybe you can use the NZXT fan for that.

Looks like a lot of work ahead, but it will be an awesome buid for sure. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I started to today with stripping down the pc case, and getting the parts safely out.

Then i started cutting the case's top panel so that the 240mm radiator would fit. It was alot harder and not to so louder than i thought it would be, 1 cutting bit would only last for about 20 cm, so i burned through 6,5 out of mine 7 cutting bits, so pretty lucky there :P

So now there is a hole in the top of the came and it be ready for the steel mounting plate to be bolted to the case, but to my great headache the screw i thought would do the job didn't fit in the radiators screw holes, so i have to go to the retailer to hunt down some screws that will fit the way i want them to.

But as a overall day i got alot of stuff done; hole in the top panel, cleared some fangrills, improved cable management and marked out where i could improve cable routing even more ;)
Might do more, but it is damn cold outside or in the basement, it's only 1*c outside

But anyway more to come once i get those blasted screws of which i can't do without :lol:
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay here is an update and test fit of coolers.

I couldn't find / get any screws long enough for my coolers radiator as it uses a STUPID INCH screw, damn the british and the americans, did really need to see the light and drop their imperial units and go metric :lol: But anyway, i had a rethink and made a prototype raised mount, which the radiator and fans hang under, this is even better than what i planned to do before ;)

This new prototype raised mount also allows me to mount a 120 mm Corsair H75 radiator at the rear fan, which can be used to cool the graphics card, which is something i wanted to do anyway.

Here is a few picture of the new prototype mount, might my dad commented that i should cut / make the mount out of a single piece of plywood, which would look good too 8-) But it leave me wondering whether or not to make the whole panel out of wood, as i have weakened it a great deal be cutting the hole for the fans :think:
More to come tomorrow ;)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Yes, i had this numerous times. Different standards for bolts and taps. If a set is equipped with very little mounting material, you can run into troubles.

On the bright side, it looks like all the radiators fit nicely together on the inside of the case. Getting your MB under that will be a precision job. Maybe mount that first, before the GFX radiator fan, lol. :lol:

It is progressing nicely. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yes i found out Coolermaster as the quality brand they are had included 16 screws for it, at first glance i thought they all were the same, but 8x 3 cm and 8x 3,5'ish cm, but that they look that same to the naked eye ;) They made me able to mount the radiator config; (radiator - gasket - fans - mounting plate - fan grills) with them.

I decided to put the sidepanels on and immediately run into a problem, the with a screw that holds the side on hitting the rear mounted radiator, so it have to be filled down to allow the sidepanel to be put on, also had to cut the plastic on the sidepanel to allow for a 120mm fan to be mounted on the outside of the case, it all worked out pretty well, but it is time consuming to do all of them minor mods in order to allow for the bigger main mod ;)
I also decided to make toppanel out of wood floorboards, made it so it fit, i not really gonna care how it looks it just needs to work, as i'm getting tired of not have my game pc up and running...! But for win 8 table is hooked up to the main screen and a nice bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so it is liveable, if i can stand the loading times in the tablet xD it 15 times slower that the desktop - no joke!

But have is the pictures of top panel, i have marked it out and is just about ready to cut the center of the board out. But needed a break from it, as the hands where getting numb after the filling of the wood board.
More to come once i get more work done ;)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Lol, how one screw can screw you... :shock:

You can simply remove that screw, lol.

The rear outtake fan can also be mounted on the inside of the radiator. Advantage of that is that it will also create some direct airflow over the mosfets and from the ram modules. But i don't know how much those cooling profiles are sticking out from the MB and it there will be enough space between the fan and the MB..
It will look better with the fan on the inside :party:

Good from coolermaster they include extra mounting material. I have the same experience with them. All their cases are quality stuff.

:party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Haha yeah...

You'll never or rarely see the rear fan, plus it will be one of the black pwm cooler master fans that came with the CM Nepton 240m, hopefully the graphic card can control it, I have splitter for it.

Also the with the fan on the inside it will take up to much space and block airflow to the 240 mm radiator.

Mosfet and ram should be more than fine, the air flow will be the same as before, but much colder air flow will cool things much more.

I'm working on a plan to cool the case, but also control it as well ;)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

here is my cooling setup and how it will mount and connect to the motherboard.
If the graphic card can run the 120mm is still unclear at this point, will have to test that out, but i'm hopeful it will work ;)

@Mad
Do you still question my cooling of the ram and chips etc.?
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

No, but it is a common mistake made with watercool setups to "forget" the cooling and airflow over other components. You won't make that mistake. ;)

And the temp will already drop severely in the case. if you continue like this you can add a Beercooler :lol:

It is looking good so far. :party:

Return to “PC”