Apprentice
Apprentice

dell doesn't make videocards.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

RamteamJax wrote:dell doesn't make videocards.
But they do sell complete PCs and that was what he's talking about...

:character-blues:

PS I think Karu wants to build his own. :geek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

im finding it difficult to come up with a good 8 core- 8GB system memory- 2 GB video memory combination.

first off, i cant find any Intel 8 cores,only 6 core. AMD has 8 core CPU's and cheap memory, but all the AM3+ motherboards only support PCIE 2.0x16. all the mid-range cards (around $180) with 2GB are all PCIE 3.0 which is only supported by Intel.

EVGA has a Geforce GTX 680 (128.8 fill/192.2 bandwidth) which is 2.0 and 2GB, but its $600.the rest of the combo only comes to $360,so its almost 2/3 of the cost.

so,to build an 8-8-2 system from newegg

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $73.99

EVGA 02G-P4-3682-KR GeForce GTX 680 MAC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card $599.99

CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory $90.99

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor $199.99

total with free delivery is $964.96
medcave
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Ah, I thought you were on a tight budget, thus the Dell suggestion.

Nothing wrong with the latest AMD/ATI cards. This one is 2GB and is comparable to my older MSI 6950. I have it frame limited to 50fps and all games so far are maxed out very high/ultra and are butter smooth. You can always upgrade later when the newest/greatest gets cheaper, or just add a second one to Crossfire it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 14-102-999

I have this 990 series motherboard and am very pleased with it as it has lots of I/O plugs like eSATA so I can continue using an old docking station for old storage drives. Also, my camcorder is Firewire 1394a. Try finding another modern MB that has both of those. ;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 13-128-514

You're probably going to need a larger power supply too. This 750w handles everything I've thrown at it including 3 HDs, a SSD, and liquid CPU cooler with 7 fans total, not to mention all the plugs needed for the modern GPUs...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139040

Don't forget about the OS, but forgetabout Windows 8. Win 7 64bit is great, and the Home Premium Edition is just fine. Figure $140 to $200 depending if you can handle OEM or not. I actually prefer the Full version so I can take it with me with my next MB upgrade. OEM gets married to the one MB only and can be a hassle if the first one you purchase is DOA or dies before it's time... 5 years in your case. ;)

PS If you plan on doing any video editing, go ahead and get 16GB of memory. You know you want it anyway. :)
Steam name: McDave
Grid 2 playername: Boss 429
TDU2 playername: Medcave, Texican, Boss 429 (current)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The 8 core AMD, used in the new consoles is a different one than the PC CPUs.

Depending if you are an AMD fan, you can also look at an Intel Quad Core. With hyper threading it is recognized as 8 core anyway.
For games and most power hungry applications it is absolutely qualified for the job. I switched to an Intel 2700K and it rocks.

The newer ones, like the 3570K, are relatively cheap, and have a TDP of 77W, so you won't need a new PSU straightaway.
Instead of the GTX680 you can also take a look at the 660Ti. I have that one (MSI) and it is basically the same chip with less cuda cores. It runs everything at max at 60fps. And it will save you some bucks for extra system memory and other goodies. 8 will do, but 16Gig is advised.

One thing i do advice is to get a small SSD to place only the OS on. Your PC will boot almost instantly and will be more silent.

Good hunting

PS You can place PCie 3.0 video cards in a 2.0 slot.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

ive resisted all these years to turning to Intel and Radeon. im one of those people that doesnt like change. my first system was an Athlon/Nvidia so thats what ive always had. i didnt know about the backward compatability on the PCIE so thats a problem solved,thanks.

your right about my budget though. i dont even have a budget,im just plain broke all the time. i am going to go push a lawn mower at a cemetary on sundays for extra cash for a new system. i can start with a new video card because i have a PCIE 2.0 slot on my current system.

looking at the specs, it looks like the middle of the road cards, the 650's, arent much better than my 9800. ive always payed under $200 for my video cards, so the 660 is at the limit of my price range but is double the fill/bandwidth of a 650. the 660ti is a decent increase over the 660, going from 70 bps to 102,but is also $280.thats a tough decision since it will have a big effect over performance of the overall system.

with the high end cards only going into the 120 bps range, i believe 100 will be enough for the next range of games that might come out.
RamteamJax
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unless you do a lot of coding, use photoshop every day, have a cold room and a steady power circuit, you're better off with a system from HP .. if you want to have a complete system.

In any other case, build your own. It's not that hard. You can't really damage anything if you watch where you keep / put your screwdriver ;)
It saves you at least 200 dollar for a complete system, mostly even more.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Karu62 wrote: i am going to go push a lawn mower at a cemetary on sundays for extra cash for a new system. .

:whistle:

Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

Corsair has a 16GB (2x8) set called Vengeance for $128. thats cheap.
medcave
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Karu62 wrote:Corsair has a 16GB (2x8) set called Vengeance for $128. thats cheap.
It was $99 a couple days ago on one of their daily specials. Sign up for their mailing list to get the best deals.
Steam name: McDave
Grid 2 playername: Boss 429
TDU2 playername: Medcave, Texican, Boss 429 (current)

Return to “The Lay-by”