TDU2UP Brings TDU2 Back to Life (PC)

Test Drive Unlimited 2 Discussion
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Only a few weeks back i was cruising in the morning, looking for some cool spots to create a CRC challenge, wondering where everyone had gone. Atari has done a great job killing the game. Despite that, there are still gamers playing on a regular base and enjoying themselves. Mostly cruisers. There has been a new wave of players recently, probably due to a sale somewhere. Do they stick? That's the question.
With very little support, server maintenance only, no new DLC and a company that has been bankrupted it didn't look good at all for TDU2.

And then came the TDU2 Unofficial Patch (TDU2UP).
Lots of players who abandoned the game are getting back to see what it is all about.
And as the Modding community finally starts to support this game it still has a future ahead. With new cars added to the game, bugs getting fixed and an enthusiastic team working on fixes and improvements it can only become better. Maybe TDU2 will finally become the game it deserves to be.

TDU2 is alive and kicking again

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
grooks10
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:TDU2 is alive and kicking again
...on the PC. Although the consoles still have their dedicated fanbase, it's going to take a miracle for those versions to revive themselves! :cry:
XBOXONE: hooksie54
German Auto Club Executive (Secretary)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

grooks10 wrote: ...on the PC. Although the consoles still have their dedicated fanbase, it's going to take a miracle for those versions to revive themselves! :cry:
TDU franchise will be sold by auction next week. Maybe the new owner will do something useful with it. Although it will take until September until it is effective.
There are plenty of ways to make money from this franchise, including support for already released games.

Only way to get the already finished DLC to the consoles is if a new owner sees the benefit of supporting the fanbase.
Even if they start straightaway with development of TDU3 it will take a few years to finish. Until that release the only source of income would be through TDU2 and new DLC. Or by porting it to another platform.

All depends on the new owners and their intentions with the game.

Until then i enjoy the cool work of the TDU2UP Team on PC. Just to see if they can get it to another level.

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Xlthuathopec
Rookie
Rookie

Personally, there's nothing wrong with TDU2. Gameplay wise, of course. Though we (People I was with at the time) had a certain Prepsi pop in, 'Guys you should get the Unofficial Patch! It has LAMBOS! Ok now I have to go'. I don't want modded Lamborghinis, I want official ones :C

That, and there's always a chance the server will stab you in the back and give you the account banned message. Remember that? Fun times.

But I was under the impression (From driving around) that there's always a few names you'll see no matter when you're driving, and various others that come and go that you pay no attention to. And isn't the UP really only supposed to be used offline? :O It really doesn't seem dead to me at all.

I would actually like to make it clear that I have nothing against the UP or the work that has been put into it, which is incredible. (Though it may seem like it), I just don't think TDU2 is 'back to life', and nor do I think that the UP is/would be responsible.

50/50 on posting this, but if you don't do, nothing happens. :3
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Yeah, i know what you mean.
It isn't dead as long as there are players logging in every day.
But there are lots of things wrong with the default game. It feels unfinished and rushed in lots of areas. It is not unplayable though.

TDU2UP brings new life to the game and finishes things the devs left to do.
It is more meant like that. Like a Buzz.
It also brings back lots of players who left the game, fed up by the attitude of Atari or disappointed by the handling and many bugs.

The Unofficial Patch works both offline and online. As there are small changes in the setup, it would be unfair to use it in races so i use it offline.
It would be great if a large part of the community starts to use this patch.
Than the online factor would be solved as well. As long as everybody uses the same gamefiles online.
For cruising it is fine off course. Only other (non UP) players will see a green Lancia Delta with Blue wheels, instead of the "new" cars.

I wanted the devs to fix all bugs, release the already finished content and actively support this game too. I have played this game vanilla for three Years, since the start from the early Beta.
But Eden Games is closed. Only support is the network support now. Maybe a new owner will do something good with it, who knows.
I have been patient enough and very active in getting things done.

We can only be glad that a few talented people from the Mod Community take the time and effort to fix the things the devs left open.
From properly working indicator lights, working dashboards, fixed numbers on dials, holes in cockpits, fixed gears, calibrated gauges, non locking brakes, cars not sinking in the tarmac and offset wheels fixes to unlocking previously unreleased cars that were in the files and even extra cars to fill the carlist that was in the game files.

My wheel is recognized now by the game and physics tweaks make low ride height cars not longer hit the tarmac. Some improvements are subtile. Others are more noticeable.
The overall feel and vibe of the game is not touched. It is only improved.
Things the devs should have done long time ago. Whatever their reasons were not to do it will remain a mystery.

Lots of games have community teams creating an unofficial patch.
And with no more active support from the developers it is time for the community to take over.

Lambos will never happen officially, but with this patch it is possible.
Cars can be added to the core game files and are not added by swapping carbodies, like most mod cars.
This way it feels like they were always part of the game and are fully integrated and balanced within its class.

In addition to that this team is very active in supporting and giving feedback about their progress. Including changelogs and future plans.
Something Atari never bothered to do.

So i do understand why some might still be reluctant to try it, but IMO it gives TDU2 the treatment it deserves and will open a lot of new possibilities in the Future for further improvement and extension of this game.

Return to “TDU 2 Talk”