Slow PC

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Ever since i installed my new water cooler i have noticed my PC now hangs when i open a program/game, sometimes for over 30 seconds or more. :o

I know this cannot be down to the water cooler because i have removed all of the software related to it and it is still happening. :angry-banghead:

When installing the pump i had to unplug a lot of stuff and almost remove the motherboard just to get it fitted so maybe i did something then but i have checked and everything seems ok and as it was before (unless i have missed something :oops: )

I have also checked to see what is running in the background and nothing pops out as the cause so i am at a loss as to what is making the PC hang all the time even starting Steam seems to take for ever. :angry-tappingfoot:

In the past programs would start almost instantaneously now even my web browser is slow to start.

Windows 10 has a feature that lets you reinstall it without affecting your programs has anyone tried this as i am at a loss as to what to do next and seriously thinking of giving it a go. :think:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Could it be the ram malfunctioning? Maybe take them out and blow the ram slots and reinstall them again.

But if the pc hangs like that then maybe a virus or a dying SSD/harddrive ?

I would start by running a ram test and then SSD test to check it to see what is going on.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Beardroid91 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:34 pm Could it be the ram malfunctioning? Maybe take them out and blow the ram slots and reinstall them again.

But if the pc hangs like that then maybe a virus or a dying SSD/harddrive ?

I would start by running a ram test and then SSD test to check it to see what is going on.
Thanks for the reply. ;)

Haven't checked the ram but haven't noticed any issues with it, already checked the SSD and the utility program that came with it says it is in good health and running as it should (all it has on it is Windows and 226 GB free)

I do regular scans for viruses so as far as i know its not that (i hope :eeek: )

I did try a system restore this afternoon but it failed with some obscure error, i wonder if thats related. :think:

Also today i was playing They Are Billions, this shouldn't be a very taxing game for my PC but it was struggling near the endgame when a lot was going on onscreen.
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hmm okay, what about the ram speed in terms of mhz is that what it should be, and or cpu power settings.

I just find it odd that we have a similar system but i don't have any issues at all.

Maybe a bad sata cable for the SSD or sata slot on the mobo going out.

Still think it is either a cpu setting or ram setting is acting up.

But hard to know for sure.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

1. check if everything is pressed properly in the slots. Especially memory modules.
2. check if a virus scanner or other background prog is running when idle (taskmanager)
3. W10 had an update recently and i also had some issues. CCleaner wipes most traces and also has an option to remove left over stuff in the registry.
4. Sometimes drivers need to be re-installed or updated. Not everything is auto updated.
5. Nvidia has released a new driver.
6. HDD where the game runs from can be fragmented, defrag your game drive.
7. Check for loose parts, O-rings, screws as they can cause shortcuts or false contacts.
8. Blow all dust from slots and your case with a can of compressed air.
9. Run a deep scan with your Virus and Malware scanner.

PS If nothing works, grab an axe :samari:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

hahaha check for o-rings - non watercooled pc :lol:
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:36 pm 1. check if everything is pressed properly in the slots. Especially memory modules.
2. check if a virus scanner or other background prog is running when idle (taskmanager)
3. W10 had an update recently and i also had some issues. CCleaner wipes most traces and also has an option to remove left over stuff in the registry.
4. Sometimes drivers need to be re-installed or updated. Not everything is auto updated.
5. Nvidia has released a new driver.
6. HDD where the game runs from can be fragmented, defrag your game drive.
7. Check for loose parts, O-rings, screws as they can cause shortcuts or false contacts.
8. Blow all dust from slots and your case with a can of compressed air.
9. Run a deep scan with your Virus and Malware scanner.

PS If nothing works, grab an axe :samari:
Thanks mad, some on that list i havent checked............I will be back.............. :mrgreen:
Image Image
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Ok something weird

Last night i checked everything that was left do including the things on Mads list, i only let the deep scan go to 90% as it took over two hours and i needed the PC back (i have a lot of hard drives :mrgreen: ) nothing found in scan. :dance:

After all that the PC was still the same so i left it and gave up :facepalm:

This evening i turned on the PC and was ready to go with Mads last option "PS If nothing works, grab an axe " :mrgreen: when to my amazement the PC was now back to normal :o

I have no idea what's going on but am glad it is back to normal, two other weird things also happened when the desktop opened a box opened asking me to sing into Microsoft One Drive (this never happens, also a program that related to the old corsair pump that monitored the temps and i know i deleted also started up and opened on the desktop. :scared-ghostface:

Maybe my PC is haunted :auto-mysterymachine: :character-shaggy: :character-velma:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Next thing you'll get an email saying pay us or we slow your PC down again :P
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Beardroid91 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 pm Next thing you'll get an email saying pay us or we slow your PC down again :P
Already got two from the US A this week saying someone has some money for me and they just need my details........You know the rest. :mrgreen:
Image Image

Return to “PC”