Civilization V

All that other gaming stuff we do when not racing
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

Miao wrote:
TheLuigi907 wrote:Teaser.

I see Jerusalem and Assyria in the map. Let me guess, they both didn't even make it past turn 300? :P
One of them did manage to survive beyond that, the best performance I ever saw from them in a TSL game. ;)
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

TheLuigi907 wrote:
Miao wrote:
TheLuigi907 wrote:Teaser.

I see Jerusalem and Assyria in the map. Let me guess, they both didn't even make it past turn 300? :P
One of them did manage to survive beyond that, the best performance I ever saw from them in a TSL game. ;)
I'm actually even kind of feelin' like playin' as one of these civilizations in a TSL game just because they never/rarely do good but I already got plans for future campaigns. Hmm. :think:
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Oskad-87
Mechanic
Mechanic

Miao wrote:
TheLuigi907 wrote:
Miao wrote: I see Jerusalem and Assyria in the map. Let me guess, they both didn't even make it past turn 300? :P
I'm actually even kind of feelin' like playin' as one of these civilizations in a TSL game just because they never/rarely do good but I already got plans for future campaigns. Hmm. :think:
Watch out or you may get eliminated before turn 300 too. :lol:

I've tried playing as Babylon on some TSL maps before, and honestly the civilizations starting around that area will have a pretty shitty location for their cities depending on what map you are playing at. I struggled to get my empire running in the huge earth map and I didn't even put Assyria in the game but I had the Ottomans in the west and Persia in the east. I also settled my second city something like 6 tiles away from my capital so it could get the most amount of tiles to have a lot of farms, you know. And even though I tried to make Babylon a good city it didn't even get as good as Delhi or Thebes which I took away from their respective civilizations.

What I've noticed from TSL games that I've done and watched on Youtube is that what the AI that starts near where Babylon and Assyria are tends to do (on the huge earth map at least) is either settle a second city far away from where their first one is or just settle there anyway and stay with a city that will most likely not go over 10 population until the later part of the game, whichever one they do they will in most cases look weak to other AIs and will be declared war upon and they won't have a good number of units to defend themselves because low population cities take forever to produce something and their cities will have crap defense because of the low population.

The same happens with other civs in tough start locations like the Sahara, Carthage tends to settle their second city and other ones around the Kongo region or they forward settle Egypt or Songhai since they both have a nice river near them, Morocco on the other hand seems to do ok because of whatever unique component they have that gives them an advantage for having desert tiles under their control. Babylon, Assyria, Carthage and others don't have anything that benefits them from settling on desert lands.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Oskad-87 wrote:I've tried playing as Babylon on some TSL maps before, and honestly the civilizations starting around that area will have a pretty shitty location for their cities depending on what map you are playing at. I struggled to get my empire running in the huge earth map and I didn't even put Assyria in the game but I had the Ottomans in the west and Persia in the east. I also settled my second city something like 6 tiles away from my capital so it could get the most amount of tiles to have a lot of farms, you know. And even though I tried to make Babylon a good city it didn't even get as good as Delhi or Thebes which I took away from their respective civilizations.

What I've noticed from TSL games that I've done and watched on Youtube is that what the AI that starts near where Babylon and Assyria are tends to do (on the huge earth map at least) is either settle a second city far away from where their first one is or just settle there anyway and stay with a city that will most likely not go over 10 population until the later part of the game, whichever one they do they will in most cases look weak to other AIs and will be declared war upon and they won't have a good number of units to defend themselves because low population cities take forever to produce something and their cities will have crap defense because of the low population.

The same happens with other civs in tough start locations like the Sahara, Carthage tends to settle their second city and other ones around the Kongo region or they forward settle Egypt or Songhai since they both have a nice river near them, Morocco on the other hand seems to do ok because of whatever unique component they have that gives them an advantage for having desert tiles under their control. Babylon, Assyria, Carthage and others don't have anything that benefits them from settling on desert lands.
Well, that explains a lot why certain civs rarely do good in TSL campaigns. Thanks for the insight.

I've looked into The /r/civ Battle Royale and I saw that its creator handicapped some of the civilizations in it to give them a better chance. For example, island nations like the Philippines and Ireland were given a river, an increased landmass and the coastal embarkation promotion for their units in order to give them a chance to actually compete for the victory. I might start doin' that in my future games too, the problem is findin' a balance and not give certain civilizations way too many bonuses. :think:
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's finally here. It took a while since I first said I've done this AI-only game but now I'm finally posting it here and sharing it with you all.

I blame school and Hearts of Iron 4 for the delay.

I suggest you start listening to this in the background before you proceed:
► Show Spoiler
My 750 turn European AI only battle (I know I said 650 way back then, I misspoke it).

Here's the starting map, it's 3400px X 2000px size, so, you better open it in another tab.

And the animated gif. The time between each frame is 25 turns.

And I ain't narrating anything that happened, I'm not good at doing so. :P
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

TheLuigi907 wrote:And I ain't narrating anything that happened, I'm not good at doing so. :P
Neither am I but at least I try doin' so. Image
TheLuigi907 wrote:Image
The map is just so empty on the northeastern part, I've counted a total of 57 civilizations on the map, you could've put Great Perm and Novgorod in the battle to balance Russia, hell even Ryazan could have been in. :geek:

Nonetheless good job with your AI-only game, but who won it?
Oskad-87
Mechanic
Mechanic

Did I just see Venice settling a second city or they took that in a war/peace deal? :?:

And nice AI game, you should make these more often.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Oskad-87 wrote:Did I just see Venice settling a second city or they took that in a war/peace deal? :?:
They probably settled that city. In case you don't know I have a special version of Venice in the Civ5 MediaFire account, all I really did was lettin' them build settlers and be able to use them as well, and I gave them a proper city list too. It was even Luigi that requested that to be done IIRC. :geek:
Oskad-87
Mechanic
Mechanic

Miao wrote:In case you don't know I have a special version of Venice in the Civ5 MediaFire account, all I really did was lettin' them build settlers and be able to use them as well, and I gave them a proper city list too. It was even Luigi that requested that to be done IIRC. :geek:
I actually saw that one there already but I never downloaded it cause I thought they'd be too OP.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Oskad-87 wrote:
Miao wrote:In case you don't know I have a special version of Venice in the Civ5 MediaFire account, all I really did was lettin' them build settlers and be able to use them as well, and I gave them a proper city list too. It was even Luigi that requested that to be done IIRC. :geek:
I actually saw that one there already but I never downloaded it cause I thought they'd be too OP.
Assumin' someone does not play with city-states and Diplomatic Victory on, they're only OP if you play aggressively like Shaka or Genghis, otherwise Venice is "just" a top tier civilization. Image

Return to “General Gaming”