Ford Returns To Le Mans 2016 Ford GT LM GTE '16

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Ford will return to LM in 2016.

I always find races like LM more useful for car manufacturers. Endurance racing truly stresses parts and cars. This will make production cars safer and more reliable.

So i think the return of Ford is important. More should follow.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Matt Burt wrote:A race-going version of the Ford GT will compete at Le Mans in 2016, 50 years after the original first won the classic endurance race.

Executive chairman Bill Ford, chief executive Mark Fields and product development president Raj Nair were present at Le Mans today for the announcement.

A return to sports car racing in 2016 allows the company to both promote its new Ford Performance sub-brand and commemorate the 50th anniversary of the original GT race car placing first, second and third at the 1966 Le Mans 24 Hours. Ford went on to win the race for four years in succession, from 1966-1969.

Powered by a 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6 from Ford's EcoBoost line-up, as already raced in American sports car championships, the GT will compete in the LM GTE Pro category, where it will face rivals such as the Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 911 RSR, Aston Martin Vantage V8 and Chevrolet Corvette C7R.

Two two-car teams will race in the 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship and United SportsCar Championship, both operated by Chip Ganassi Racing. Driver line-ups for both teams will be announced at a later date, but four cars have been confirmed for Le Mans. The car will make its debut in next January's Daytona 24 Hours.

Talks to return Ford to top-flight motorsport are understood to have started in 2013.

The racing GT features new aerodyamic bodywork, new lightweight carbon fibre materials and a chassis which is described as “exceptionally rigid but light”.

The Ford Performance sub-brand, which aims to bring 12 new performance vehicles to market by 2020. Other road-going models in the programme include the Ford Focus RS, the Shelby GT350 and GT350R, the F-150 Raptor, the Focus ST and Fiesta ST.

Speaking at the launch, Bill Ford said: “We’re back. We’re back at Le Mans and we’re back with a supercar.

“Ford’s history in racing is legendary, across many circuits and across the globe. We’re back with a car and a partner that we feel great about. The first time I saw the early rendering of this vehicle, I was in love.”

Raj Nair added: “As we developed the Ford GT, from the outset, we wanted to ensure we had a car that has what it takes to return Ford to the world of GT racing.

“We believe the Ford GT’s advances in aerodynamics, light-weighting and EcoBoost power will make for a compelling race car that can once again compete on a global stage.”

Ford's announcement highlights the growing manufacturer interest in sports car racing. BMW is also believed to be interested in entering a hydrogen-powered racer in 2018.

The road-going Ford GT is powered by a mid-mounted 3.5-litre twin-turbocharged V6 EcoBoost engine which develops more than 600bhp, and is mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Initially developed in secret, the road-going GT will go on sale in 2016, with a price tag of around £240,000. That means the GT will be occupying the same segment as the Ferrari 488 GTB, McLaren 675LT and Lamborghini Aventador.

Ford hasn’t been shy about communicating the new GT’s racetrack potential since the road-going version was unveiled at the Detroit motor show at the start of this year.

The £240,000 road car was developed in collaboration with Multimatic Motorsports, a Canadian racing team with a 30-year pedigree of working with Ford on its race programmes.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor ... -mans-2016

ImageImageImageImage
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I posted this one in the Le Mans News thread ;)

http://tdudrivetime.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1938
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Miao
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:I posted this one in the Le Mans News thread ;)

http://tdudrivetime.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1938
Which is not even in the correct forum section, and is kinda of a pointless thread as we already had a Le Mans thread before the creation of that one. :|

And I'd rather have separate threads for new cars than have them all posted in a single one.
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Tsukishima wrote:Which is not even in the correct forum section
It is in the correct section, as it is about news and not another car thread.

As this is about Ford returning to Le Mans i leave it with this. Stay on topic please.

:back to topic:

Whiterun Guard
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Hey, if you drive this car backwards you probably can use it as a snowplough. :lol:

I like the overall body design of it, but not the livery, why couldn't they have chosen Gulf?
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:
Tsukishima wrote:Which is not even in the correct forum section
It is in the correct section, as it is about news and not another car thread.
The Showroom is a space for us to post and talk about anything car related, including motorsport, thus the appropriate location for your thread is here, and not at the Lay By. :geek:
Whiterun Guard wrote:Hey, if you drive this car backwards you probably can use it as a snowplough. :lol:
True. This car got the 2nd biggest rear diffuser I have ever seen. 1st place goes to the Lotus Evora GT300 :P
Whiterun Guard wrote:I like the overall body design of it, but not the livery
That livery looks better when you invert the red 'n blue. ;)
invert.png
Whiterun Guard wrote:why couldn't they have chosen Gulf?
Because of reasons...
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

If Gulf decides to sponsor the Ford GT, that would be awesome. But i don't think M. Al Fayed will do anything like that soon®. For obvious reasons.

Those colors belong on that car. Gulf and Martini are my favorite liveries.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Return to “The Showroom”