Roborace Robocar '17

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

ImageImage
CHARLES BRADLEY wrote:The driverless racing car is here — but it looks like full-on races are a couple of years out.

Roborace is all about the future. Like it or not, autonomous cars – ones that drive themselves with no real-time human input – are going to be a big part of that future on the world’s roads.

And, as the cliché goes, once you’ve built two cars, you’ve got yourself a race.

When you look back to the very start of motor racing, in the mid-19th century, the first aim was to prove the concept – that automobiles could be reliable and were safe. And then, competition was born to see who could produce the best machine and go fastest.

It’s a case of history repeating for the driverless car. Roborace is the first platform to emerge with similar stated aims: firstly to prove the technology is safe, and then spawn competition to see who’s best at going fastest.

Its CEO, Denis Sverdlov, has a clear vision of the future of the automobile: “I really believe by 2025 we will see a lot of driverless cars with full autonomy. With the technology available, that’s absolutely possible.

“Of course it will take time to make new laws for that, but this is the future. It is already here. This car is from the future, and it is here. So it’s happening now.”

ImageImage
ImageImage
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Not gonna lie, I really like the design of this thing. Of course I wish this was an open-wheeler driven by a human instead. :|
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

A racing drone, lol is just software to control it or is it going to be a big remote control toy car ?

Could be interesting and be a good testing and proving ground for autonomy, but i wouldn't want to be anywhere close to them. As software makes mistakes, and there is the all time problem for autonomy, it is who to kill, the drivers in the car or the by standers...

And exactly how would they make them race each other, as it is computes, and computes makes the same calls, so can't see this being a spectator sport at all as it is just going to perfect lines every lap unless there is a technical fault.

Return to “The Showroom”