The Crew Wishlist

NascarVike
New Starter
New Starter

50 FPS with a triple card setup? They're going to optimize the hell out of this thing, obviously, although with the physics engine running at 3000fps (??? based on the info posted on TDU-France but even if it's 'only' 300fps it's still a lot), managing the wildlife, pedestrians and all the other moving ai like planes and boats, all the interactions between players, I'm guessing the CPU is where most of the action takes place, so 50FPS on Ultra settings seems to make sense. Tixier said that the engine does a great job at using multiple cores so it might make sense to wait for upcoming 6 and 8 core cpus from Intel. I'm definitely waiting until the last minute to build my new machine. I'm still on the one I built for TDU1!

About the modding, It's Beley himself who answers Gamersyde's question about what will be allowed or not. He says point blank that it'll be like in TDU, in that the team didn't welcome it, they didn't do anything to help with it, but they stay out of the way of modders and Beley (Fergus) was even pleasantry surprised with how modder managed to quickly pick the code apart and what they came up with. He then goes on to say that the team will take the same approach in The Crew, in that they won't help modding, but as long as it's only cosmetic they won't crack down on modders. They will however try to block anything that might alter other players' experience.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The playseat had a triple screen setup and was fixed at 50fps for the test. Without any doubt a single GTX660Ti is already capable of doing 60fps at 1080p on a single monitor.

But you will need a beefy gaming rig to play the Crew 8-)

Those French sites have a tendency to "reveal" more than actually said. IMO Stephane was very clear about modding. He does not like it. If they can prevent it is a different story. Maybe he was a bit more diplomatic in that interview.
TDU1 clearly did benefit from it and TDU2 is still not released for modding even today. Despite requests been made a number of times.

There is off course a big difference between certain kinds of modifications. Only graphical mods will probably not affect gameplay too much, but when it starts to create lag it can become a factor for others. It will already be a giant task to make this world into a stable gaming environment for thousands of players. Anything that can cause instability should be avoided.

A lot of the gaming world in The Crew takes place at the cloud. They make very clever use of a lot of resources. But the final rendering still has to be done on your PC. Being able to zoom in and instantly play is amazing. There were no loading times at all during the demo. But that took also place in a controlled environment off course.

As your save will be stored at the cloud as well, at least it will be a lot harder for lame cheaters to hack money or performance.

I'm not completely against modding, but for a game as The Crew it makes a lot less sense to do it now. Maybe in a couple of years, new content can be created by the community. But for now, using larger textures for example, could seriously have an effect on FPS and therefore gameplay. And not everyone will place a couple of Titan Blacks in his PC.

Adding or swapping cars is a no-go area as there are so many customizing options, you would have to change those as well.
The way this game is structured, i see more disadvantages than benefits when it comes to modding cars.

It would be nice to add a full weather model in the future, if your rig can handle the extra workload for example. That is one of the things where the modding community can shine.

And let's not forget that the game is constant online, there is no offline mode. Tempering with game files will probably lead to a cheat alert and temporary ban or warning. Don't know if that is worth it.
Many factors to take in.

:spy:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
blehz
Apprentice
Apprentice

A real life day-night cycle sounds nice, but in the end most people always play at the same time of day. So that means most will have always day or always night.
Afaik, Metropolis Street Racer had that feature. I didn't like it since I was always driving during night in Tokyo, and during winter in London too.

As for modding; I don't think an online experience like this should get modding.
But of course, they'll have to keep the updates (and DLC) coming to keep it interesting. They're already listening to the community and considering the many requests. Let's hope many of them get into the game by time, then modding is not needed.
They have worked 6 years on it, I bet the support will be for many years to come. Otherwise it'll be quite an expensive project. :)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

A real life Day and Night circle won't work in a game.
Personally i found the 2.4 hour cycle in TDU2 on the short side.

So i advised to make it 4 hours in The Crew. They will make the night cycle shorter than the day BTW.
The complete cycle was around 2 hours during the playtest. 1.5 hours day and half an hour night. Way too short IMO.

Things like this should be a part of the testing period, where you can try different lengths and Day/Night cycles with a larger group of players. So the final decision about how long can be based on feedback.

8-)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

NascarVike
New Starter
New Starter

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, helps put things in the right order in my head so I can clearly see that unless IT set up different servers with different time cycles, my perfect game will only become reality if someone can bring it offline. A 4-h cycle is not ideal either, I'm afraid only something that is modifiable at will would be. The problem is that sooner or later you will reach that part of the day that you wanted to avoid and a longer cycle means you'll have to wait longer to get to the one you want. Sadly, since there is one server and one single cycle, it'll have to be the right length so that Joe Walmart can enjoy it to the fullest. At least with the Oculus Rift this won't be such a problem since the eyes will be isolated from ambient light.

I fully agree with the modding part. I'll be perfectly happy with professionally made dlc cars on a regular basis. Where modders can do wonders is on things that IT can't legally do because of annoying licensing rules, like replacing generic commercial signs with real world ones. Can't wait for that one for increased immersion.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

One of the things that can add to the immersion of driving in NY for example, is having the real names and billboards. But that licensing is really nightmare from what i have understood. Even simple things like Joe's Snacks can get them into troubles if a real "Joe" makes a claim. And they seem to like to make claims in the USA, lol :lol:

This is also a department where the modding community can add something cool. If they figure out how to do that off course.
I will keep my game vanilla, at least the first couple of years. Especially as they have told me that a constant flow of updates and new content will follow the release.

Radio Stations and playlists:

From what i have understood is that you will be able to make a playlist with songs from within the game. Not 100% sure about the feature.
But with 7 stations and 140 songs to choose from, in game radio will be more interesting than in TDU2 for example.
Custom Radio is a feature they will consider as an upgrade for the future, as Julian wants that himself as well.

:character-blues:

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

As we have no chat in game if you are listening to a radio station and then someone speaks to you dose the radio brake off or is the voice chat just mixed in with all the radio sounds. :?
ImageImage
\/8

Bezrider wrote:As we have no chat in game if you are listening to a radio station and then someone speaks to you dose the radio brake off or is the voice chat just mixed in with all the radio sounds. :?
It should be like in F1 when the team radio is on everyone's just stop talking. ;)
Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

oooh and i would want a DRIFT challenge / race like IRL
where they turn with some skills a whole circuit into 1 loooong drift :2thumbsup:
and so ya can measure yaself against others
not just the FRIM small drifts ya do in freeride
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Drift skillz FTW. :2thumbsup:

And i also like the small XP boosters that are already in the game like speed XP, overtake XP, jump XP and drift XP. Those are fun additions to the driving. A bit like frim in TDU2 but more direct as you get instant rewards and do not have to fill a bar.

Return to “The Crew Game”