Case Modding

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Ah okay ;)

Yeah .. my dad my a similar comment, with one of those portable car cooler boxes, but those things are loud, so no :lol:

Maybe if i lived in the desert, but i'm right now i'm just after colder temps and a little to no noise on idle ;) On load it can sound like a jet engine and i won't care, but i spent most of my pc time idle, and the constant fan noise is really annoying, anyone knows that :lol:
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Status update:

All the major work is done, i mounted the top wood floor board panel and it looks decently enough, it just need some black paint, like the rest of the case also do, but thats for a time it when it alot warmer outside, so in about 2-3 months.

I finished the cablemanagement routing points, which is going to make my life alot easier when i need to rebuild the pc.

But this build hasn't been without blood and tears, i lost my count at about 21 small cuts on my hands and fingers, which wasn't there 3 days ago, aluminium edges are pretty damn sharp... :?

I can see that end of the tunnel now, i just need to blow the case off with the air compressor to the last tiny bits and metal and dust out and then it is build time :2thumbsup:

But need to check all the sharp edges, and put some electric tape over them (really love electric tape, it is better than duct tape imo.), hopefully i can avoid slicing up my hands next time i touch the case ;)

Also my case lighting take the backseat on this project, i need a fully running pc by the end of tomorrow or i'll go nuts, but that should be very possible. 8-)

Anyway that's it for now, would have taken some pictures but was to tired, i spent 5 hours working on it and listening to the radio, apparently some moron shot up Copenhagen Saturday afternoon... but the idiot painter asked for trouble by painting the prophet Muhammad, which in apparently isn't allowed in Islam (eventhough they have no clue it is really him :lol: ), but i really could care less, only got say to say, "keep it in your sand box next time, and stay the heck out of Europe...!".
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I always use a file and sandpaper to smoothen sharp metal edges. And maybe wear gloves when you make more cuts. ;)

A complex build like this will almost certainly hit some bumps in the road. But will be even more rewarding when you get it done.

And it usually takes a lot more time than anticipated.

Looking forward to more pics. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I did you a file and some sandpaper, but only did the rough stuff, but aluminium case are notorious for having sharp edges, and the manufacturers can only do so much on their budget.

Yeah i thought i would have it done by now, but no, it's proving to be more difficult and time consuming than i thought, but like you say the project will just be that much more satisfying when it has been a fight all the way. ;)

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow and hopefully got it operational again, it's been way to long since i've gamed, lol i'll probably be shocked by the graphic and the cpu speed :woot:
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Looks like your over the hard part now and next is the fun bit building it back together. :D
Good luck and look forward to the finished project. :party:
ImageImage
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

The b*tch aka 240 mm radiator is finally in place, it was a major headache move a fragile radiator with two fans stacked on top safely into place with only 2-3 mm of room to move around, but it's in to stay for good.

Also put in the graphic card radiator which fits great.

Now the build can continue ;)

Pics to come
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay so as i said earlier the cooler is in, and the pc is working again now. The cpu saw a drop of about 15*c at the same overclock, so it got to 80*c and hovered there about, now i testing with stock clocks, and it bear gets over 63*c, i think i might just keep the cpu running stock clocks until i figure out how to overclock it right, the Asus bios had it using 1,3 volts which is insane, it be about 1,250v and at stock it is 1,15 volt and about 20*c colder.

Well to the mod, i had alot of trouble getting it to fit correctly inside the case, it was a very tight fit, but i managed it after a tries, i had taped the fans to the radiator to keep them in line, which worked wonders :P

My cable management was and is a night nightmare, i thought it would be easy, but frankly i don't know how i got so much crap to fit inside of the case :lol:

I decided to not water cool the graphics card just yet, as i need parts for it, and those are being ship from China so it could be a few weeks ... But i the Corsair H75 radiator fit perfectly under the CM Nepton 240mm, so the GTX 970 can easily be watercooled in the near future, but i need to research it abit more. I also want to keep the G1 Gamings backplate on the card with the watercooler on it might just be possible ;)

The lighting: I have not yet done anything about the lights, i i'm thinking i might do a dark, less is more, rather than a bight light up case, also it is not bad just the way it is now 8-)
___

The last mods:

I had to make mount the toppanel and the mounting plate for the radiator, but ran into a problem with the motherboards I/O shield, i a had to raise the mount the plate by about a cm, but i was easily done ;)
Next i did, or tired to do the cablemanagement it was a nightmare so i'll spare you the horror :lol: But the side panel could close easy enough, not like siting on a bag to close it :mrgreen:

Here is a few more pictures of it, again i have not done the lights yet, this is just the fan and the parts.
__

My idea for future lighting, your opinions are welcome ;)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

It looks very cool. Nice job. :2thumbsup:

The raised mounts to fit the fans on top in are a smart solution.

The temp drop is more or less what you can expect. And this is without delidding the CPU.
That overvolting is rather agressive from the OC settings from the ROG MB.

Better make your own OC profiles than.

And now, get back in the game :lol:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Did a test to test to see if the cpu temps where effected by the graphics card, and they still where, so i might as well ditch the G1 Gaming's Windforce. That Windforce cooler seems to so great, but living with it is annoying, and it ruins the temps of all the hardware near it, as it gets around 70*c'ish during hard gaming, and the Windforce blows the hot air to everywhere but out the case. So they answer is clear i'm going to put water on the GTX 970, as it heats up my otherwise frosty case, and i like my pc to stay cool :occasion-snowman:

Btw, noise it level has dropped abit, but fans will always have their humming, it's weird i missed it when the pc was of online, and now i hate it again :P
__

Thanks Mad ;)

I have started to look for a good overclock, and see what i should expect for voltage etc., i just used Asus's own software, but it would seem it could have killed my chip running at nearly 1,3 volts

Also performance wise there is only a 200-300 points difference on firestrike, so it might not be worth oc'ing, plus it runs 3,8 ghz with boost at stock.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I still think 60 degrees on stock is a bit high. Especially on Water. Around 40 would be more appropriate.

Maybe you will have to de-lid the bugger after all. A tricky job, but it can also drop temps another 15 degrees if done right.

How hot is the temp in the case now? It should be less as the heat generated by the 970 is now pulled from the case by 3 fans instead of just one. 8-)

Return to “PC”