PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay so i just spent the last 2 hours changing the thermal pads on my GTX 1070 FTW but it is more like WTF ... EVGA used shitty thermal pads that have released so much silicon olies the whole GPU was soaked in olie, and i'm NOT happy about it, i didn't pay that much for a GPU to have it be soaked in olie and dust gunk, it is sure as fuck a good thing EVGA has very good warranties, so if this card breaks then i'll know who to blame.
2018-04-06 23.27.01.jpg
2018-04-06 23.52.44.jpg
2018-04-06 23.53.27.jpg
2018-04-07 00.09.15.jpg
But now the optimal thermal pads are in place and it should be good to go for the foreseeable future, but this was a massive clean up job, and the thermal paste they had on it was all dry, so good thing i had just enough left in a old Gelid Extreme tube, but only just - new tube has been ordered already for the Desktop CPU remount and laptop paste upgrade. ;)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay EVGA support just confirmed that the fluids coming out the thermal pads is indeed harmless, just sucks to have to clean it all of of oil from time to time. Also on some mining rigs the thermal pads got so hot they started to leak and drip all over the place.

But i have never seen thermal pads leak oils, so strange, i thought thermal pads where just a solid piece but apparently some are more oily than others, i have no idea if that is good or not.

But who cares i still have warranty on my GTX 1070 FTW as it is only 1,5 years old.

Also adding more thermal pads also reduced the coilwhine on my card, so that's a plus. ;)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I fund a deal on 3 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 120 Blue LED for that is half a year old, but only ran like 2 weeks, so they are essentially new. I got them for 26,8 euros with shipping so a pretty good deal considering what they sell for from new, here is goes for 16 euros for one, so the seller must have had no idea what they are worth, hints why it is a dad selling the son's bad purchase. :lol:

So essentially now i only need 2 new 140mm fans in for the front and my case have all new fans ;)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Just scored a deal for 2 new 140mm front intake fans, 2 Corsair ML140 Pro's the all black version, a super expensive fan, but i got it for under half price as it was only 3 months old, the seller had bought 5 of them and then his plans changed so he had to sell them, seller even said they had receipts and box's with them, so essentially brand new.

So new i have the 3 "new" Blue BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm fans and the now the 2 "new" Corsair fans, so the oldest fan in my build is a blue LED Silverstone AirPenatrator fan that is on my CPU cooler and it was taken old of my build for a few years as it didn't fit in, but now it does again and it is a really good fan too.

So 3x 120mm fans as exhaust and 2x 140mm fans as intake and i run push/pull on the Scythe Mugen 5 CPU cooler.

But i can't wait to get the old and "cheap" Fractal dynamic 140mm fans out of my build as they have trouble pushing enough air through the front mesh and filter, so some static and airflow optimized corsair fans should be just the thing.

But so far i love the Meshify C build i got now, it is much nicer to than the old Define S that was just to big, but there is just something about having the darkly tinted glass side panel, so it makes everything look much nicer with the lights etc.
2018-05-07 18.08.58.jpg
2018-05-07 20.25.52.jpg
And no, i don't have any regrets going away from watercooling as it was so much hassel to watch over and the constant fear of leaks drove me nuts towards the end.

- - -

My next upgrade might be to take out the PSU cover and paint it a gloss silver metalic i think, i a guy paint his PSU cover green to fit a Nvidia build which looked sick.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

A new thermal pad solution makes cooling paste obsolete. And it is reuseable. :eeek:
Too good to be true? I want to see some tests with it, compared with top tier cooling paste solutions. :ugeek:

https://www.highflow.nl/watercooling/ko ... x30mm.html

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Does this mean your super watercooled pc is done now ?
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Seems interesting. :think:
ImageImage
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

So, this actually works and within a very narrow margin, compared to top tier thermal compounds.
The ease of use and avoiding a messy mount are reason enough to try it. The price seems to be allright as well.
Only if you want to squeeze the max out of your OC setup, other thermal solutions have still a small benefit.

Professional PC builders shoud seriously consider using these pads, instead of the goo they usually use.

That video also reminded me why i unsubbed Linus. That cheesy advertorial commercial crap in between. They are pro's i get it, but it is still very very annoying :lol:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The GTX1080Ti Mini, i considered for my HTPC just dropped 150€ in price. :lol:

With the RTX2080(ti) launch right around the corner, there appears to be an overstock of the "older" 1080Ti chips, which are basically Titan X based cards with a lower pricetag.

Very tempting indeed. :think:

I can also wait for a RTX2080 Mini version, as that will most likely perform the same and has newer features on it. And with my current GTX1070 Mini i have no issues running most games on high/ultra in full HD.

This is really the time 4K becomes the new benchmark though. :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Nuts :mrgreen:

Return to “PC”