The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike

No votes

Total votes: 0
eaustinn36
Mechanic
Mechanic

TheFlamingLemon wrote:
eaustinn36 wrote:
TheFlamingLemon wrote:It's easy to prove your car isn't the fastest in the world. Simply look at the car and you can determine that the car probably isn't streamlined enough to go 400mph without breaking apart.
Ah yes but you are breaking what you said... you are looking at the car and thus acquiring proof that it isn't the fastest whereas you blindly believe the Hennessy claims. The Hennessy isn't streamlined probably either to go 250mph; it is extremely unstable.

What if I actually did modify it with an impressive looking engine and etc? Then would you blindly believe any numbers I claimed?

Also, before you argue on, you are missing the point...
I can't see any aerodynamical failures on the Venom that would cause it to not be able to go at high speeds. As for being unstable their are many factors that can cause that which have nothing to do with the car itself.
Yes, and then by your logic, there are many factors that can cause my personal car to become unstable that have nothing to do with the car, so, you basically just shot yourself in the foot on that one.

Also, few can "see" aerodynamical failures of a car that would make the difference between 200 and 250mph (since 200 is still very fast). A Veyron relative to Saleen S7 doesn't "look" like it will go faster, but it does, by a lot. You can't just look at a car and by inspection give an exact top speed it will have; maybe theoretically, but theory is useless in the real world.

In summary, the whole point here (that was my original point), is that you just can't blindly believe something someone tells you that seems plausible, especially when it is a "record breaking" claim. If you do, by that logic, the whole "fastest" cars thing would be incredibly outdated; by that logic, the Veyron SS never held that title, since there are production car pre-2010 that claim to do 270mph+...

And once again, seriously, you are missing the point.
TDU2: eaustinn36 (xbox360)
Club: German Auto Club - Founder
Current Rank: 1st - no mods/hacks/cheats
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

One of the advantages the Bugatti Veyron has is that it has a very slick body. All Aerodynamic stuff that works at "lower" speeds becomes obsolete or even contra productive at higher speeds. It can generate turbulence, drag or excessive down force, risking suspension or tire failure. Even bodywork damage.

Lotus is known for handling and lightweight constructions. Not for high speeds. Certainly not extreme high speeds. So maybe choosing this Exige as a base car has some disadvantages as well.
Maybe some body modifications are needed to make it more stable at extreme high speeds.

Something that looks fast doesn't necessarily has to be fast :twocents-02cents:

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
TheFlamingLemon
New Starter
New Starter

eaustinn36 wrote:
TheFlamingLemon wrote:
eaustinn36 wrote:
Ah yes but you are breaking what you said... you are looking at the car and thus acquiring proof that it isn't the fastest whereas you blindly believe the Hennessy claims. The Hennessy isn't streamlined probably either to go 250mph; it is extremely unstable.

What if I actually did modify it with an impressive looking engine and etc? Then would you blindly believe any numbers I claimed?

Also, before you argue on, you are missing the point...
I can't see any aerodynamical failures on the Venom that would cause it to not be able to go at high speeds. As for being unstable their are many factors that can cause that which have nothing to do with the car itself.
Yes, and then by your logic, there are many factors that can cause my personal car to become unstable that have nothing to do with the car, so, you basically just shot yourself in the foot on that one.

Also, few can "see" aerodynamical failures of a car that would make the difference between 200 and 250mph (since 200 is still very fast). A Veyron relative to Saleen S7 doesn't "look" like it will go faster, but it does, by a lot. You can't just look at a car and by inspection give an exact top speed it will have; maybe theoretically, but theory is useless in the real world.

In summary, the whole point here (that was my original point), is that you just can't blindly believe something someone tells you that seems plausible, especially when it is a "record breaking" claim. If you do, by that logic, the whole "fastest" cars thing would be incredibly outdated; by that logic, the Veyron SS never held that title, since there are production car pre-2010 that claim to do 270mph+...

And once again, seriously, you are missing the point.
I'm not saying that they should put the Venom in the record book as the fastest car in the world I'm just saying it has a fairly good chance of becoming the fastest car in the world.
eaustinn36
Mechanic
Mechanic

TheFlamingLemon wrote:I'm not saying that they should put the Venom in the record book as the fastest car in the world I'm just saying it has a fairly good chance of becoming the fastest car in the world.
But that was my original point.... it hasn't been proven so any claims can't be counted, and one can't just blindly believe a manufacturer claim until it is proven. So then you now agree, while it has a chance of breaking records (a lot of cars do), it is not record breaking (top speed), and doesn't go anywhere near 250mph, unless they prove otherwise?

If you agree with the above now, then idk what we are even arguing about.
Driiven
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Well, the run has been done. 267.5MPH is the Venom GT's top speed.

[youtube]1d9y2SFLl44[/youtube]

Technically, this makes the Venom the fastest production car because production Veyron SS's are limited to 258MPH (Something I never knew). Also this test was only done on a 2 mile stretch, whilst the Veyrons was done on a 5 mile stretch. You can clearly see the Venom had much more to give.

So, good on you Hennessey, a pumped up Lotus can in fact be faster than a Veyron.

GT: Gobes
The Ferrari Club
eaustinn36
Mechanic
Mechanic

Damn, bout time they tested it. I'll give that it is now the 2nd fastest car in the world (proven at 265.7mph), but not the fastest. Still 2mph off of the Veyron.

As for the limited thing, the regular Veyron SS was limited to 258mph for safety concerns, HOWEVER, it was already proven that without it, it will go faster to ~268mph. If they tested the Veyron with the limiter on, but CLAIMED it could go faster without it (no proof), than that would be a different story.

If you still want to argue against that, Bugatti did make 5 "world record edition" Veyrons without the limiter. And inb4 someone argues 5 isn't production: Only 6 Venoms were made, so the Venom wouldn't be either.

Guess this whole thread is invalidated then lol.
Driiven
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

I know it was proven to be capable of 268MPH, but the ones people buy are limited because the tires would explode, the SS isn't safe at those speeds. The production versions of the Venom GT aren't limited, because they don't have shoddy tires.

Also, you can clearly see in that video, it was able to achieve a speed nearly equal to that of the SS Record Edition in less than half the distance. If the Venom GT had 3 extra miles to gain speed, it would surely go faster as it still had more to give after 267.5MPH.

Its the fastest car for 4 reasons:
-Production, road-going cars can reach their real top speed
-Its not a limited run special edition
-They are still being produced so numbers will continue growing
-Its not French.

PS, how can this thread be invalidated by me posting a video of its 2-mile speed run? This thread isn't about its top speed, it's about just the car, hence the title.

The Ferrari Club
eaustinn36
Mechanic
Mechanic

Driiven wrote:I know it was proven to be capable of 268MPH, but the ones people buy are limited because the tires would explode, the SS isn't safe at those speeds. The production versions of the Venom GT aren't limited, because they don't have shoddy tires.

Also, you can clearly see in that video, it was able to achieve a speed nearly equal to that of the SS Record Edition in less than half the distance. If the Venom GT had 3 extra miles to gain speed, it would surely go faster as it still had more to give after 267.5MPH.

Its the fastest car for 4 reasons:
-Production, road-going cars can reach their real top speed
-Its not a limited run special edition
-They are still being produced so numbers will continue growing
-Its not French.

PS, how can this thread be invalidated by me posting a video of its 2-mile speed run? This thread isn't about its top speed, it's about just the car, hence the title.
The world record edition versions come without the limiter, so your first point is invalid (you can physically right now take it to 268mph, given that it is a world record edition, you had a long straight, and you owned one). Also, the Veyron doesn't have "shoddy" tires; it was limited for safety concerns, as in, there is a 0.1% chance that the tires might blow at those speeds, which is too much in VW's opinion. The chance is similar for the Venom, only they are willing to take the risk; that's the difference.

As for the 2nd point, yeah, it probably would have got the extra 3mph, BUT, it didn't, plain and simple, so officially it can't be marked as the fastest.

As for your last couple points:

- The world record edition (5 made) can reach it's top speed, and the Venom (6 made) can also. Last I checked, 268 > 265.7, sorry
- Not a limited run? 6 Venoms were made, 5 record editions (which is the same car without the limiter, no other changes). You are really going to argue over a difference of 1?
- Numbers could continue growing yes, but not too much more. The car has been out for awhile now and has past its peak in sales. The total number probably won't pass 10 before the production run is stopped
- Neither is the Veyron; Bugatti hasn't been French since the 40/50's. Not sure what your point is here
Driiven
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

eaustinn36 wrote: The world record edition versions come without the limiter, so your first point is invalid (you can physically right now take it to 268mph, given that it is a world record edition, you had a long straight, and you owned one). Also, the Veyron doesn't have "shoddy" tires; it was limited for safety concerns, as in, there is a 0.1% chance that the tires might blow at those speeds, which is too much in VW's opinion. The chance is similar for the Venom, only they are willing to take the risk; that's the difference.

As for the 2nd point, yeah, it probably would have got the extra 3mph, BUT, it didn't, plain and simple, so officially it can't be marked as the fastest.

As for your last couple points:

- The world record edition (5 made) can reach it's top speed, and the Venom (6 made) can also. Last I checked, 268 > 265.7, sorry
- Not a limited run? 6 Venoms were made, 5 record editions (which is the same car without the limiter, no other changes). You are really going to argue over a difference of 1?
- Numbers could continue growing yes, but not too much more. The car has been out for awhile now and has past its peak in sales. The total number probably won't pass 10 before the production run is stopped
- Neither is the Veyron; Bugatti hasn't been French since the 40/50's. Not sure what your point is here
How is my first point invalid? I said SS's are capable of 268MPH, is that wrong? I also said regular SS's are limited because of tire issues, I believe that's true as well. Am I missing something here? 0.1% chance huh? Where did you learn that from? Its fact that at those speeds its only a matter of a short time or a pebble in the road to break a tire, especially in such a heavy car.

The Venom is the fastest, because the Venom GT isnt a special edition car or a limited run like the WR Veyron, or Koenigsegg Hundra for that matter. I'm not arguing over the difference of 1, I'm arguing that the difference of 1 will soon become 2, 3, etc.

How can you say Bugatti hasn't been French since the 50's? Its been French all its life. Lamborghini has been acquired by Audi, but you still call them Italian, so why does Bugatti have to be called German? Besides, how can you say its German if its designed by a Slovakian, manufactured by Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. (VW's French division), and assembled in France? The only German thing about it is the key FOB which is nicked straight from a VW Golf.

The Ferrari Club
eaustinn36
Mechanic
Mechanic

Driiven wrote:How is my first point invalid? I said SS's are capable of 268MPH, is that wrong? I also said regular SS's are limited because of tire issues, I believe that's true as well. Am I missing something here? 0.1% chance huh? Where did you learn that from? Its fact that at those speeds its only a matter of a short time or a pebble in the road to break a tire, especially in such a heavy car.
The SS was proven at 268mph, and 5 models are capable of that speed, in which is only slightly less Venoms that have been created all together; that is my point. You also can't compare Bugatti to any other company making the "fastest" cars, as last I checked, the vast majority of them are "backroom shed" cars, not made by a major company. A "limited edition" model for a bigger company could be equivalent to "full scale as-fast-as-we-can-make-them production", and that described the Venom vs. Veyron. Less than 10 Venoms were made that do 265.7mph, and less than 10 Veyrons were made that do 268mph.
Driiven wrote:The Venom is the fastest, because the Venom GT isnt a special edition car or a limited run like the WR Veyron, or Koenigsegg Hundra for that matter. I'm not arguing over the difference of 1, I'm arguing that the difference of 1 will soon become 2, 3, etc.
See the above. The Venom by your definition should be classified as a "special edition", given how few are made, and how few will be made.
Driiven wrote:How can you say Bugatti hasn't been French since the 50's? Its been French all its life. Lamborghini has been acquired by Audi, but you still call them Italian, so why does Bugatti have to be called German? Besides, how can you say its German if its designed by a Slovakian, manufactured by Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. (VW's French division), and assembled in France? The only German thing about it is the key FOB which is nicked straight from a VW Golf.
Alright, sometimes I can't tell if you are actually trolling me on the French thing still, but assuming you aren't, allow me to explain.

Bugatti itself is complicated, as it is 3 individual companies in different times that have nothing to do with each other. This is why so much confusion results, as it would be like if Ford went under, and a Japanese man created a new company called Ford (after purchasing the rights to the name), only that the new "Ford" has nothing to do with the old one.

As for Bugatti, again, it is 3 different companies in 3 different times. Anything French about the company died in the 1950's when the company went under. Around 1987, an Italian man Romano Artioli founded his own company, Bugatti, and set up factory in Italy, producing the EB110. In 1995 he went under as well. Then, VW created a new company in 1998, Bugatti, in which VW made with 1 goal: make the fastest car (the Veyron). Therefore, "Bugatti" is 3 separate companies: French, Italian, and the modern German one. Each of the companies has nothing to do with each other, other than the badge and brand name reputation that comes with it.

This is not the same for other companies where "stock" is sold. If I bought a 50.1% share in BMW, and therefore took control of the company, that would not make it any less German. If however, the company went under, and years later after purchasing the rights to the name, I started my own company and called it "BMW", it would be an American car brand. Therefore, Lamborghini is still Italian despite its stock ownership by Audi, Bentley is British, and Rolls Royce is British. Mini I used to think was British, but I am now under a more accurate knowledge that the modern company is German (older was British), as it completely went under in the 90's, and BMW bought the title rights and created a new one (Mini didn't "exist" for a 3-5 year period, you can fact check that if you want).

As for Bugatti itself, the design and creation of it was completely by VW. Ask the joint Bugatti and Bentley CEO (appointed by VW), Wolfgang Durheimer: nothing happens without VW's approval, because they purchased the brand name in 1998, to make the fastest car in the world. It was strategic for VW to do this, as the brand name has a lot of reputation to make fast cars, like the EB110 under the Italian hands. VW created the car, and combined with the reputation of the name, its brand image was better, and therefore, more models were sold (Bugatti sells hundreds of the Veyron model). Purely enough it was a marketing decision to increase profit margins (taking the financial hit to acquire the right to use the brand name on their model, in hopes it would boost reputation), and it worked. This is why VW is the most profitable company in the world, making about $55 million per day, versus GM's ~$30 million per day.

Anyway, that's enough of a text wall from me. Hopefully, not just with you (but all forum members), everything makes more sense now.

Return to “The Showroom”