The Crew, The Traffic

No votes

Total votes: 0
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The Crew, The Traffic One thing that stands out in a not so good way in The Crew is the "Ai" traffic. It is like zombies driving around. Completely indolent and not reacting at all. They don't avoid a crash, don't brake or make steering moves and even collide together without altering speed at all.
On the other hand, the Ai traffic tries to be in the way as much as possible when you drive at high speeds, based on the ideal line, stepping on the brakes and change lanes unexpected. Also cars move to the second lane when entering a highway. They even come straight at you, driving aginst the traffic. So there is some kind of interaction there.

Maybe it is just me, but i think even TDU2 traffic reacts better. And that was bad.

Right now this zombie traffic, controlled by the A.S.S. (Artificial Stupidity System) is a big turndown and makes the game looks silly in a lot of ways.

I think Ai traffic should at least react basically on other traffic and player cars. Avoiding collissions instead of causing them is one. And obeying basic traffic rules is another. Different types of Ai behavior and aggression would be even better. Makes the game world more real and Ai traffic less like zombies.

What do you guys think?
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
DudeX
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

on the bright side, you can practice your evasive manuever on these. Because of them, I crash into traffics a lot less now and I was able to predict where are they going
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

DudeX wrote:on the bright side, you can practice your evasive manuever on these. Because of them, I crash into traffics a lot less now and I was able to predict where are they going
How can you predict what the traffic are going to do, I've had cars jump out in front of me on the highways (especially at junctions and slip roads) :eeek:
Image Image
DudeX
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Bezrider wrote:
DudeX wrote:on the bright side, you can practice your evasive manuever on these. Because of them, I crash into traffics a lot less now and I was able to predict where are they going
How can you predict what the traffic are going to do, I've had cars jump out in front of me on the highways (especially at junctions and slip roads) :eeek:
in my gameplay, traffics seem to act normal. In highways, they act normal too but sometimes I see two cars colliding and I make sure to slow down everytime a traffic is going to switch lanes. Slippery roads are another story. I keep crashing there so I avoid driving there even though I like the roads.

and playing The Crew on a controller is more easier than the keyboard in my opinion.
NascarVike
New Starter
New Starter

It's been a major complaint on the official forums for quite some time so I've been paying attention to it a lot. In fact, the only mission I enjoy in this game is 'Fleeing the country', and I'm focused on avoiding damage. I have to say I have rarely noticed quirks in traffic ai behavior.

Cars aren't totally oblivious, when I'm driving across two lanes they push to the sides slightly to give me more space. They did that in the betas already but in a very unrealistic way, like they were sliding to the sides. Now it's all good, although I'd rather they not do that. Ironically, I'd rather they be as oblivious as most human drivers would be.

Another thing, I like that they don't all drive at the same speed like robots, unless they're real almost bumper to bumper in a rush hour traffic situation). More often than not I'm trying to find a way to overtake that's more realistic than just mindlessly driving straight in the middle and it's real nice because their speed patterns don't seem to follow a super simplistic template. I got a different impression during the beta, though, but it might have been a wrong one.

What's weird to me about the AI problems many people are encountering is that usually it's tied to performance issues, with cpu and memory specifically. In my case, with only 2 cores @ 2.4Ghz and 2GB Memory instead of 4, I should have many problems with the AI, like in GTA IV for example, but it's been a pretty smooth experience so far, better than in the betas.
Fulysic
Mechanic
Mechanic

Yeah you got it right MadmanCK A.S.S. (Artificial Stupidity System), the traffic is useless the wobble effect is the worst must say i have not seen it to much as of recent patch.

I think Crew AI definitely need good overhaul what i would like to see

occasional drag race with AI from traffic lights

Police detect speeding

Crazy taxi's and delivery drivers

occasional AI police chase where they chase random AI car

Traffic to be a little more random in it's movements

Traffic hours and flow of cars the game has its own time so im sure this could work: 11PM to 4AM roads should have very light to light traffic then during peak hour or worker commute times have heavy density of traffic and standard operating time have medium density and flow

Would love to go drifting on ice roads in light traffic always cars on corners :auto-layrubber: :auto-crash: :angry-screaming:

:snakes: :auto-layrubber:
Alvin
Rookie
Rookie

Traffic traffic traffic ah..

I mean I see all these AI cars in lonely coutry roads and I see vegas feels like an aboned small city where no one cares about. I mean I know its a racing game and all but some areas feel desolated. Not the country roads but the cities.

And the AI driving is plain stupid. You already said it MMCK. They dont even care what the heck is infront them. Just plain BANG. And the AI your racing with magically weaves in and out the traffic. :/ And I dont even want to start about the race AI.
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

I don't know. You all want a clean road and all the cars to drive perfectly. Take a look at statistics on accidents each year. People are stupid and even more stupid driving their cars. I used to commute 60 miles to work one way some years ago. I have seen some really stupid things, like a newspaper propped up on the steering wheel so the guy could read on while he was driving. Also was a firefighter and had to assist at accidents, lots of late night drunks. Just had an article in local paper about someone who had their 11th DUI. I do not think the cars are too bad compared to real life idiots on a cell phone, texting, or drinking while driving.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Not at all. I don't want or need perfect driving traffic. Erratic is fine. But driving like there is nothing there, blocking the road, not braking to avoid a collision, not trying to evade an accident by swerving around it is just looking plane stupid. Even TDU2 traffic did that better.

Right now traffic is like they O.D'd. on Prozac and continue to drive with a big smile like nothing is happening around them.

Just make them interact a bit more with the players is all it takes to get a big improvement in the game. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

Maybe braking for an accident but the rest, I have no problem with. Some of the traffic drives goofy that but not all and that is how people drive IRL which gives it a little realism. I have seen the stupid traffic in the game and it fits. Traffic stopped in the middle of the road, how about the clown in real traffic who does not understand the green arrow left means he can go and doesn't until you lay on the horn. Or the person on a cell phone in front of you who is floating between lanes. Everything you noted is just like real life. I could see if all the traffic functioned that way but in game there are only a few here and there that you may catch at the time they are not driving perfectly. The few traffic glitches are good. It is already too easy just to head down the center of traffic full speed.

Return to “The Crew Game”